Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

The '74 also came with new door rubbers, but you had to slam the doors ridiculously hard to get the to close fully.

The doors are fitted so that they are flush with the rest of the bodywork.

What am I missing and what can I adjust?

Are some sources of these replacement rubbers better than others?

Thanks

John Corbs

'74 GTV Le Mans Blue

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah mine are the same with new rubber. The search tool will show you much has been said about this and I still don't know what to do. Maybe start over.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
For starters, where did each of your rubbers come from? An Alfa shop here in the SF Bay Area was working on a GTV several years ago and the customer had brought in one door rubber from ReOriginals and another from somewhere else (I can't remember where). The ReOriginals side closed beautifully and the other you had to slam it as you describe.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I wouldn't mind slamming the door that was the case with the original rubbers it also ment perfect sealing. The weatherstripping issue in this car is by far the most serious issue.You can spend 10 years restoring and have the car rust its guts out in only 1 year just by that -some stupid rubbers. The design of the door and the rubber sealing there was troublesome from THE FACTORY ,in a real storm the car would have water coming inside. Do not take this subject lightly perform a seal TEST with water ,stay in the car and have someone from outside shoot pressurized water on the door and around, you could also perform a dry test at night with a powerful flashlight and a helper.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I detailed in full a few months back on how to make door rubbers fit properly and the different versions available. If you search, you will find. About 1 year ago you could only get the thicker seals, now thinner seals are available from stock.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
FWIW, my pass door was a slammer until I minutely adjusted the hinge. You might want to try that before doing weatherstripping.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks All. BTW, that post that Max is referring to is back in October 2006.

Time flies when you're having fun with your Alfa!!

John Corbs

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
iachella had written: "An Alfa shop here in the SF Bay Area was working on a GTV several years ago and the customer had brought in one door rubber from ReOriginals and another from somewhere else (I can't remember where). The ReOriginals side closed beautifully and the other you had to slam it as you describe."

That sort of thing - one door closing easily, the other a bear - can happen even with the same vendor's rubber on both sides. There is often a side-to-side variation in the fit. I'm certainly not knocking ReOriginals' products, but I don't think that this one anecdote proves anything definitively.

Now, if you said that the two rubbers were measured, and one was X mm larger than the other, or had a hardness/durometer measurement 30% lower, then we would have some data.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I wasn't aware there could be a side-to-side variation in the fit from the same vendor. It doesn't seem obvious to me, but I suppose it could be true. I'll go down that path soon, though; my GTV's rubber is pretty sorry looking. I'm learning good stuff here.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
iachella:

I didn't mean that a vendor would sell you a pair of seals, both from the same manufacturer, and that one would be wider than the other.

What I meant was that our cars have dimensional variations between the left and right sides. Perhaps these are due to prior collision repairs, perhaps manufacturing tolerances.

The point is that manufacturer X's seal may work fine on your left door, yet their identically-sized seal may not allow your right door to close.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks All. BTW, that post that Max is referring to is back in October 2006.

Time flies when you're having fun with your Alfa!!

John Corbs
Thats hilarious.... time does fly hey! :confused::eek:

Yes you can get completely different fit side to side, much is to do with quality and shape of any door bottom repairs, as well as quality of fit of kicking plates and naturally the exact positioning of the metal channels. If your door shuts much better with the window down than up, then you know where the problem is.... but remember the less tight fit you make the rubber round the glass, the more wind noise you will get. The fit round the glass it easily modifyable by moving the channels around and redrilling them. On my GTA Rep I have the glass area very tight fitting to minimise wind noise because of the speeds that I drive it around at.... on concours cars I go for a much more factory fit so the doors close perfectly.

·
Registered
936 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts