Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas

I"m just wondering if anyone would be interested in buying new dog gears, I may have found a guy who can manufacture these gears but I wwould have to invest in some tooling.

I will take a dog ring down to him to have a look at. He makes gears for high perforanc WRX gearboxes and the like, I'm sure he could do it but I would have to pay for the cutters and order large batches to keep the price down.

If people are interested I'll chase it down. I imagine they could cost $100 - $200 each.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
11,375 Posts
Dog Gears

Hi Andy,
Please send me a PM or E-mail (preferred as I wish to Fwd>:cool:) I have been involved in this project for some 6 Mo. now and can tell you what not to do:eek:, as well as a buyers list and some pricing details:rolleyes:. I may be able to HELP!
:DGordon Raymond

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If you go that far. How hard would it be to make one that take cone types out of some common tranny. If one of the triple CF cones types could be used it would make for a very nice box. As the dogs come off. This gives the option of going with different types of syncros. Or mabee also have a full on race dog box. where the dogs are the big chunks with a lot of slop and no syncros at all.(track only)
just a thought

·
Richard Jemison
7,183 Posts
Dog rings

Gordon etal:
Remember that Alfa has used 2 sizes of transmission syncro dog assemblies. The 101-105 uses a smaller internal spline in the gears than the 115 & 116 cars. :eek:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
heh too bad they did not use the same size internal spline. but have a better syncro for the 115/116 that could be swaped in to the 101-105

·
Registered
380 Posts
Actually the 101/105/115 are the same size. ONLY the 116 (alfettas, GTV-6s and Milanos) are of a different size. The 116 dog gears have a larger 'hole'.

·
Richard Jemison
7,183 Posts
Syncro sizes

Actually the 101/105/115 are the same size. ONLY the 116 (alfettas, GTV-6s and Milanos) are of a different size. The 116 dog gears have a larger 'hole'.
You are wrong. The 115 is same as 116/Milano. As well there are two different "teeth angles" on the 115/116 syncro dogs and sliders. They must be matched sets.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
FWIW, the moly gearbox sleeves for the front mounted 105 & 115 gearboxes, as well as the transaxle 116s, & 161s (Milano), all carry the same part number. The 105 and 115 boxes also have the same part number for second gear. The 116s and 161s use a different 2nd gear.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
not trying to be a thread chaser here.. my t5 conversion.. better box,, better built overall and it will look stock in the car.. 100-200 per synco? for a 100 $ you can get a whole rebuild kit ofor a t5 bearings ,synco's, gaskets.. etc.. a new t5 will run 1200$ rebuilt one 5-800$ used all day long at3-500$.. and with the kit.. a lot less than a alfa tranny.. not to be rude.. but even with a rebuilt alfa tranny.. you are still going to have the same problems down the road..2nd gear.. even the 1 st gear is not synco'ed, unless you rebuild the 1 st gear that way.. just a matter of time.. thats why i stuffed a t5 in my car.. just wanted a tranny that won't cause problems.. for many years down the road... 1,2,3 duel coned carbon lined synco's.. reverse is syncoed on the newer boxes..96 ish and up, easy to get from a mustang , lots of t5's in mustangs.. agian not trying to be rude here.. but it seams to me like beating a dead horse.. gear lightning?? $ lots of hundreds to get that done.. to make it shift better, i was going in that direction for a while till i saw the cost.. of that work.. just for example 1 bearing for an alfa tranny..$150..00 to $230.00 thats losts of money just for 1 bearing.. i like my t5 in my 84 spider.. just 'clicks' into gear.. very short shift... and you can get diff. ratios for the t5.. even keeping you stock 4.55 rear end useing a 2.95 1 st gear in some t5's gets you a useable 1st gear..

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
sorry , i cannot see how this woud be illegal..or even cheating.. as the box would retain the same ratios.. the tranny weigh the same.. only the driveshaft would change from a 2 peice with a donut, to a 1 peice drivshaft.. a wee bit lighter, but not to much.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
just a thought.. arn't porshe dog gears the same on the early cars?i remember taking my tranny parts to a porshe gut..( he doe's the 356's) he took a look at the dog gears,, and the porshe ones fit well,, press fit...

·
Super Moderator
11,375 Posts
You can check with Richard Jemison, but the short answer is NO. Paul Spruell has some of these NLA parts. I have checked with ZF, the original manufacturer, and they will be happy to make up a production run of the late moly assemblies for about $ 55 each assembly, ...IF YOU (or FIAT) order 5,000 units. Got a spare $275,000?
I've been down this road before.

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
who makes the dog gears all the after market porsche places have been selling for the last 20 years?

·
Super Moderator
11,375 Posts
If they are genuine Porsche, they probably came from ZF, Germany.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts