Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I wanted to share with you the project in which we are now (my father and I).
About 15 years ago we bought the only Alfa Romeo Montreal originally imported to Paraguay from the second owner (my father is the third).

This particular car has a very interesting story but to make it short, I´ll tell you that the 2nd owner blew the engine on a highway and to repair his monty he bought a low mileage 2000 Berlina and took the engine off to put it on the monty. He drove it this way many years. (He repainted it on silver and other modifications). When we bought the car it was running on the 2.000 cc 4C and the 8C was completely disassembled on a few boxes.

We´ve always wanted to repair the original engine but it was very complicated since the engine block is broken. On the meanwhile we have enjoyed the car with the 4C and it goes amazingly pretty good.

Last year we spotted a Hot Rod project with a Monty engine on ebay and we won the auction.

Now we finally we started the transplant project to bring the 8C back to our Monty.

Any advices or comments are welcome!!

Hope you enjoy the pics...

- You can see a pic taken back on 1976 of our car parked on a random street at Asunción - Paraguay

- You can see another pic when we just bought the car (painted silver)

- About 5 years ago we painted back to his original color

- The engine still mounted on the hot rod project

- The engine bay clean and the old 4C on the floor

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,614 Posts
Josez,

Very nice to have you among us.

I have often traveled to South America, and will be in southern Ecuador in July. However, I have not been to Paraguay, although I have long had a curiosity about it. We are looking for a good place for a second home in the Southern area, so perhaps we'll come by for a visit and look at some point. It is encouraging to think there might be an Alfa in the country.

I am currently rebuilding two Montreal engines, although I am focusing on the one that will go back into my car. They are really not very complicated, just like most Alfa engines are not all that complicated. The parts, however, can be expensive. You probably made a good decision to buy the hotrod engine, as you now have many spare parts from your blown up unit.

Do please let me know if I can be of any help.

Cheers
Don

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don!

I´ll be more than pleased to receive you if you ever think of visit our country. Don´t know how much of this article reflects the reality but I can tell you we´d have a lot of "alfista" fun. http://www.gallup.com/poll/169322/people-worldwide-reporting-lot-positive-emotions.aspx

In fact the Alfa Romeo brand is well recognized here since the 105 series where mounted here at the IAPSA plant for a short period of time.

We (my father and I) have a collection of them mostly based on the 105 series, you can search for me on instagram josez_py for more pics or some posts around here.

Sadly Paraguay doesn´t have any 0km AR currently and apparently no plans for any dealer to be installed.

About the Monty engine... I really don´t know yet what to look for because we are just beginning the project but I´ve always heard it was a very complicated engine, if you think it is not than maybe you can help me if I need... ;) once again thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, Jose!!

Nice to see your project featured here. I also don't post as much, like you can probably tell (actually, this is my first post! LOL)-I mostly lurk around here, looking for V6 Busso information and projects were this engine is used in mid-engine applications(wonder why?) However, this forum is awesome and the information shared is priceless!

Your car is beautiful, and such an odd sight here in Paraguay! The only thing missing was its V8 to make it even better! Can't wait to see it on the street!!

·
Push hard and live
9,614 Posts
Josef,

The engine design itself is not complicated. What can present challenges are the methods and tolerances to be used.

Cleaning is always important, and if you find significant corrosion in areas such as the seats for the cylinders, you can face some challenging repair steps. Also, the engine uses several magnesium parts. If these have been mistreated or left unprotected, they can be well on their way to returning their atoms to the cosmos. The cylinder heads offer very little allowance for refacing their surface, so sometimes welding may be required.

In your case, you have the spare parts from your dead engine, so should be able to work through the problems.

You didn't tell us the nature of the original engine's destruction. Occasionally one can find a good crank case and crankshaft in Europe that might allow you to build a spare engine. Always a good thing to have.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, Jose!!

Nice to see your project featured here. I also don't post as much, like you can probably tell (actually, this is my first post! LOL)-I mostly lurk around here, looking for V6 Busso information and projects were this engine is used in mid-engine applications(wonder why?) However, this forum is awesome and the information shared is priceless!

Your car is beautiful, and such an odd sight here in Paraguay! The only thing missing was its V8 to make it even better! Can't wait to see it on the street!!
Thanks matumorales... it is mostly thanks to you that we are in this project right now

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I´ll try to explain the nature of the problem with the original engine and to do that first some history about the car to have some more perspective.

This history has been told to me from different persons.
This car was originally bought by a local car racer who sadly died young and the widow sold it to his ex copilot (2nd owner) who obviously was a car enthusiast but I think not much a car lover like we alfisti are and liked the car to be used as a normal car and to be abused on the open roads. First thing he did as people told me was painting the car on silver since the original orange paint was too much eye catcher. Later he installed a glass sunroof (I do remember the car still with it) which flew away at high speed on a highway (is what people told me). Later he installed a LPG (liquid petroleum gas) system in order to make the car more economical on the daily use (common thing around here during 80`s and early 90`s) and here is where the engine problem begins...

As I said when we bought the car the engine was disassembled on boxes and when I started to look at the pieces I quickly noticed that the spica wasn't there (people told me is because of the LPG system) and even worse...
The reason why the 2nd owner took the engine out is because one of the cylinders went out of the engine block, it is hard for me to explain, I´ll put a pic as soon as I can but the engine block now has only 7 cylinders and one is ripped of from the very base of the block. People told me this has been due to the less lubricated fuel LPG and a high RPM on the engine, I truly don´t know.

We then decided that we´ll never be totally confident or we´ll never trust on a repaired engine block on such a sports car so we stop trying to repair and we started to enjoy the 4C Montreal as the prototype one ;) until we find another engine.

I´ll post some pics of the engine but I have to go an take the pics...

Matu can you please translate my bad english in order for the people here understand what I meant? You know the story and my car pretty well hehehe ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I´ll try to explain the nature of the problem with the original engine and to do that first some history about the car to have some more perspective.

This history has been told to me from different persons.
This car was originally bought by a local car racer who sadly died young and the widow sold it to his ex copilot (2nd owner) who obviously was a car enthusiast but I think not much a car lover like we alfisti are and liked the car to be used as a normal car and to be abused on the open roads. First thing he did as people told me was painting the car on silver since the original orange paint was too much eye catcher. Later he installed a glass sunroof (I do remember the car still with it) which flew away at high speed on a highway (is what people told me). Later he installed a LPG (liquid petroleum gas) system in order to make the car more economical on the daily use (common thing around here during 80`s and early 90`s) and here is where the engine problem begins...

As I said when we bought the car the engine was disassembled on boxes and when I started to look at the pieces I quickly noticed that the spica wasn't there (people told me is because of the LPG system) and even worse...
The reason why the 2nd owner took the engine out is because one of the cylinders went out of the engine block, it is hard for me to explain, I´ll put a pic as soon as I can but the engine block now has only 7 cylinders and one is ripped of from the very base of the block. People told me this has been due to the less lubricated fuel LPG and a high RPM on the engine, I truly don´t know.

We then decided that we´ll never be totally confident or we´ll never trust on a repaired engine block on such a sports car so we stop trying to repair and we started to enjoy the 4C Montreal as the prototype one ;) until we find another engine.

I´ll post some pics of the engine but I have to go an take the pics...

Matu can you please translate my bad english in order for the people here understand what I meant? You know the story and my car pretty well hehehe ;)
Jose;

I think you did a pretty good job explaining the problem; from the looks of the remains, something went terribly wrong with the piston/cylinder wall lubrication, and the piston (or the piston rings, actually) seized to the cyl. wall, pushing the sleeve out of the aluminum casting of the engine's block. I still believe a good machine shop might be able to recover that engine block and fit new cyl. sleeves to it... but like you mentioned, without the Spica pump, it would be hard to return it to original specs. However, you might be able to fit 4 downdraft Webers to it, and maybe use the engine on a Rat Rod of sorts...

·
Push hard and live
9,614 Posts
Good, usable blocks can be bought for less than the cost of a suspicious repair.

Spica pumps are often advertised on Ebay. I see one regularly, and sometimes two.

There is a new Montreal connecting rod on Ebay right now.

However.... You have the hot rod engine. I would take it apart and determine if it is OK, or can be rebuilt without using any or your parts. If it can, then I recommend locating the parts you need to repair your car's original engine. A running, freshly rebuild Montreal engine will always be in demand somewhere, and you can keep it in case you need to do a repair on the one driving in the car.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Only a few weeks ago there was a NOS Montreal unstamped block that sold for $1000AUS. A crazy bargain that was bad timing for me...

I bought a complete Spica pump for 400EU two years ago. It needs a Wes Ingram rebuild but was apparently working ok when removed. Just got a TA, and only have a few more fuel pieces to go in my collecting. So yes, the parts are out there. I would think if it is only a damaged liner seat to your block then that shouldnt be a problem to have repaired and machined. I too am keen to see pics of what the damage is.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Josez,

Welcome to the Monty community! I can empathize with you. My Monty was purchased with the engine in pieces and missing some key parts like the camshafts...

Your best friends will be:

1. The folks on this forum, especially Don and Mark (IRONBLOCK). They are super-generous with their time and experience

2. Larry Dickman at Alfa Parts Exchange. He has or can get hard to find stuff

3. Richard Jemison (Alfar7) did my engine rebuild and he did a great job

4. Wes Ingram. He just finished the rebuild on my SPICA

I have a second SPICA. It is currently being held for another member. Let me see where he is at and if he does not want it, I can reach out to you via PM if you are interested.

I am (hopefully) installing the engine and firing it up within the next 6 weeks.

Keep the faith...you can put that Monty back together.

Keep us posted!

JP

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Jose,
Congratulations on finding the correct type engine for your Montreal. I saw the Montreal engine listing with free 'Hot Rod' on eBay and my brother-in-law was interested in buying it but you won. I believe Don is more technical and mechanical than many of us here on the ABB.

Thanks JP! Despite what you say, I am still intimidated by the Montreal V-8's dual CD distributor and Spica fuel injection. I would be happy to help with photographs etc., as needed. As we just about always recommend here, do yourself a favor and get a copy of Bruce Taylor's "Alfa Romeo Montreal -the Essential Companion". It will be well worth your investment if you don't already have a copy! I bought mine new for about $75, so shop around. Here is a link to the book:
Alfa Romeo Montreal (Essential Companion): Bruce Taylor: 9781845841584: Amazon.com: Books

Mark

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone... Some news about our project..

I forgot to post the pics of the remainings of the blowed engine... Here are some pics...

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,614 Posts
You may find it providential that you have extra parts for your someday-running engine. Many of the parts in your buckets are not available. Bearings, rings, pistons, valves, etc are all available. Cam covers, sump, fuel injection lines, etc are much more difficult to locate.

We will be in Cuenca, Ecuador this July. We will be too busy to jump over those little hills to visit, but if our plans go as intended and we buy an apartment there, perhaps in the future.

Cheers,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts