Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I am struggling to remove the arms that go from the top of the rear axle to the frame , I cant move the arms as they seem to be stuck fast ,I need to remove them to fit new cone bushes ,is there anything I need to do or is just a case of getting more brutal with it. Cheers Chris

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Normally, a combination of heat, cold, a big-a$$ puller, and a rivet gun with a planishing face will get it done.

Having said that, I’ve got a rear end in my shop I’ve walked away from at least three times, swearing like a disrespected mother-in-law.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don, at least I know it will go eventually, I've got an old Alfa tool chart, I'll look at that in the morning to get an idea what the genuine puller looks like. Thanks Chris

·
Registered
Alfa 2600 Spider, Alfa 1750 GTV, Spider Duetto 1600
29 Posts
Today I was trying to remove the arms from a dismounted rear axle.
With one arm the bolt was corroded in the tube of the rubber bush. I had to saw the bolt on the two sides next to the arm within the body holdings..
About 15 minutes extra time!

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
You both inspire me to try again. It has defeated me for 10 years.

Reactions: chris hedley

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the makeshift "tool" we made up, I'm sure a man of your engineering calibre could copy this, I will show it in operation tomorrow from work. Thanks Chris
IMG-20200611-WA0009.jpg

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Being more inclined to just jump in rather than do research, I’m happy to admit I’ve so far used a standard two or three jaw puller. Always worked until this demon arrived, currently sitting in a rack glaring down at me in defiance.

There’s probably a mighty factory tool that would provide MORE POWER, so yes, I look forward to seeing your tool from more angles and in operation.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all, we used an induction heater to heat up the arm, then made a tool up to remove the arm , once we got it off we pressed the pin through on our bearing press , we had 7 ton on the gauge which shows how these things get stuck on, all back with Classic Alfa Poly bushes and now the propshaft is not jumping up and down , very pleased
:) Thanks Chris
DSC_3422.JPG
IMG-20200611-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20200610-WA0021.jpg
DSC_3423.JPG
DSC_3422.JPG IMG-20200611-WA0008.jpg IMG-20200610-WA0021.jpg DSC_3423.JPG

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Wow. You did this with the rear end IN the car! I’ve only attempted with it out on a pair of horses, or laying on the shop floor where I can get to it.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Don I found the two large posters showing Alfa special tools , picture shows the factory puller for the cone bushes ,not as mighty as we thought.
DSC_3443.JPG
DSC_3442.JPG

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm very pleased with the difference the rear poly bushed make ,its cut down a lot of the wallowing I just accepted as being an old car ,and it has stopped the axle wind up ,which was allowing the prop shaft to catch the gearbox ,which obviously a bonus, all in all worth the pain of doing the job. Thanks Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts