Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have my 71 Spider back from it's long sleep. I have now driven it 122 Miles, the first miles since 1989. She looks good and runs well. There is one problem. ( maybe 2?) I get a grind when shifting into second gear unless I am very gentle. I would think this would be a synchro problem except the clutch does catch pretty high and I also will get a grind when putting it in first at a light. I can avoid both grinds by with perfect timing and gentle persuasion. I will post a few b&a pictures soon.

I am pretty proud of her. I have done it all myself except the radiator cleaning, a gas tank reline, blasting & shooting the original phone dial wheels, and fixing a torn seat. I could not have done any of this wiothout this forum! The help and support have gotten me through many frustrating and difficult times.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
2nd gear will usually make a noise if you aren't gentle as far as first gear doing it as well, I'd imagine you may have some rust built up on the flywheel that may go away shortly as you drive it more, be sure you don't have air in the clutch lines also. If 2nd gear gets worst, I'll gladly rebuild it for you and have all your gears lightened (labor is $100 for the rebuild).

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
You can avoid the going into first gear grind at the light by doing the following: with the car at rest and the clutch depressed move the gear lever selecting one of the higher gears, then move the gear lever into first, no grind. This method is directly from an ALFA publication of the sixties, has something to do with the design. As to second gear, your synchro is problably worn so learn to double-clutch also the car should not be driven spiritedly until it is fully warmed up, the trans (and everything else) will work better at operating temperture (approx 180). You can also try redline high milage gear lube, it sometimes helps.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would invest in 2 qts of Redline 75W90NS gear oil (Synthetic, GL5 spec) at $9.95/qt from Centerline and IAP.

It will make your trans noticeably smoother and will greatly help 2nd gear.

TTFN Elio

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have no problem with second, first can grind once in awhile and so does reverse. I have found that if you push the clutch pedal and move the gear lever slightly toward second prior to moving it into first it goes in smoothly. Reverse is another matter, generally, moving slightly toward fifth first takes care of things but not always.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Steve D...you hide your car info, so I have to guess...

The Redline will make an older gearbox smoother shifting and help synchro performance.

If your motor mounts and/or trans support bushing are old and sagged, that will contribute to the symptom you talk about.

TTFN Elio

·
Registered
103 Posts
Steve D...you hide your car info, so I have to guess...

The Redline will make an older gearbox smoother shifting and help synchro performance.

If your motor mounts and/or trans support bushing are old and sagged, that will contribute to the symptom you talk about.

TTFN Elio
I have a 1988 Spider Veloce. I changed the transmission mount, and motor mounts, both needed to be relaced (the passenger side motor mount was a thrill a minute to do). I also have a new clutch (that too was almost down to the rivets) and while I was at it new rear main seal, input shaft seal, shift lever seal, both u joints and the center driveshaft support bearing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will order the redline.. BTW I have replaced the motor mounts but not the tran mounts. If it is a much joy as the motor mounts I can't wait!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I will order the redline.. BTW I have replaced the motor mounts but not the tran mounts. If it is a much joy as the motor mounts I can't wait!
Trans mount isn't that hard, a lot easier than the passenger side motor mount!!!!! Get the "heavy duty" one from centerline, it was for a different type of Alfa, but it is alot meatier and less prone to wear and failure.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
small rubber disc that goes at base of shift lever, beneath top boot, steel housing, middle boot and last boot over opening at top of transmission, it helps keep gear oil where it belongs.
Awww, OK, The only thing I was remembering were the stainless shingles they used to keep the gear oil from splashing out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
:confused::confused:Huh??:confused::confused: Since you started talking about the u joints and center bearing should I assume you were thinking driveshaft (output shaft) seal?
I did the seal that is in the bell housing for the input shaft, I was leaking gear oil from the bell housing, the other seal I referred to is as I described at the the base of shift lever on top of the transmission. Basically, I went up and down the driveline and replaced anything that was worn. The only exception was the rear main seal, it wasn't leaking but while I had everything out I figured it wouldn't hurt to put a new one in.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The only exception was the rear main seal, it wasn't leaking but while I had everything out I figured it wouldn't hurt to put a new one in.
I did the same thing, figured now was the time instead of waiting for the thing to start to leak and then HAVE to do it, repull the trans, etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just took out mine( trans mount) today. Not as easy as the engine mount. I end up using my 5 inch vise to press it out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
On the original question of poor changes to first & second gears. I had the same problem when I first got my Spider. Adjusting the clutch helped a lot and now it is only second gear when cold that has trouble - which is fairly normal until you get the box rebuilt.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have tried the trick of slipping in into 3rd before putting it in first at a light. Seems to work great-- no more gringing. As for shifting to second- it actually seems to happen more when it heats up. I have ordered the redline and will try that. I also will install a new mount when it gets here. I have the week off but I am beginiing a complete front end rebuuild, changing the mount, changing the tran oil and doing it's first oil change since I started driving it again. I want to get the rest of the trash out of the engine and start fresh. (engine driven 200 miles since 1989) I have read here where the shaft of the MS should be 5.XX inches but can't seem to locate that thread again. Anyone know off hand? I think mine is a little long. I may as well adjust that while I am doing everything else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have done it all myself except the radiator cleaning, a gas tank reline, blasting & shooting the original phone dial wheels, and fixing a torn seat. [/QUOTE]

Phone dial wheels would not be original on a 71.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts