Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to start my new center console project, thought I'd post some pics while I'm at it.This was the first stage, cut a piece to match the original, thanks to the shop next door for the sheet metal bender. Then I laid out and cut the new holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New Center Console Update

I'm applying a walnut veneer to the center panel, The final was the second try, the first was kind of a practice run. I also got most of my new switches, still waiting on two. Switches are all flat face vandal proof in stainless steel. eBay of course. All the switches have built in LED's; I'm using blue for the window controls, white for lights (fog, driving,etc.), yellow for audio equipment, green for accessories, and red for power control over the two 12V outlets. The next part is to clear coat the veneer and then make wiring harness for the switches. I plan on running most of the wires forward of the shifter behind the side trim panel. That way I can access the wiring for the switches without removing the center piece, since not all the switches are spoken for. I'm sure I'll use a few relays for this but I'm still working on the wiring layout. More to come later.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW!!:eek:

How long before we get installed pics??!! Looks great so far.

Realistically, a month or so, I'm moving into a new house friday so I have to put it on hold for a week or so until I get my new garage setup and running.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright boys and girls, I need a little creative input. I'm now in the process of covering the shifter/heater trim plate and I've decided NOT to put the Borg clock back in. I can't however think of anything to use that space for. Any ideas? If nothing else I'll block fill it and just make the hole disappear giving a little more wood grain to look at.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I need a little creative input.
I don't know if you're already planning on doing something like this, but I did this a while ago in my Boxster:

http://www.brackenrig.net/Garage Opener Hack.htm

It's hands-down the best mod I've ever done in any car. As long as you're relatively handy with a voltmeter, this is easily done.

I plan on doing this in the Alfa at some point, but that will be after I get done with my rebuild project. :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Put one of the Alfa Analog clocks in there instead.
I'm pretty sure it'll fit............:cool:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Oem

I don't know if you're already planning on doing something like this, but I did this a while ago in my Boxster:

http://www.brackenrig.net/Garage Opener Hack.htm

It's hands-down the best mod I've ever done in any car. As long as you're relatively handy with a voltmeter, this is easily done.

I plan on doing this in the Alfa at some point, but that will be after I get done with my rebuild project. :)
Looks totally professional. Nice job.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Somewhere out there exists an A/F meter that's about the same size and shape of the Borg digital clock.

Might be a nice addition with it's fluttery LED's, and has some semblance of practical use too. (3 wire hookup: hot, not and O2)

Something like this, though I'm sure others are likely available from other sources in slightly diferent sizes.

edited to attach picture

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Realistically, a month or so, I'm moving into a new house friday so I have to put it on hold for a week or so until I get my new garage setup and running.

:rolleyes: I'd put the house move on hold and work on the panel if it were me :cool:

;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:rolleyes: I'd put the house move on hold and work on the panel if it were me :cool:

;)
If I could I would, I'm tired of packing and moving.

However I finally decided what to replace the clock with.
One word, 'Knightrider':cool:

Found this little gadget on eBay, it's a audio VU meter that's a replica of the one used in the shows car KITT. It will be mounted horizontally. I'm also going to replace the fan switch with a rotary and replace the a/c controls with (two) rotary, one for temp and one for speed. This way I can use a set of matching stainless steel knobs that should go nice with the SS switches.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Knight Rider...

I'm having a flash back...

I helped George Barris with the 1986 K.I.T.T. car and everybody wanted those lights!

Here is my prisma color pencil on canson paper art of the convertible K.I.T.T. car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Art

Sorry to highjack the thread. The console looks like a great deal of fun, and will be a source of pride.

But, if you want to see some of my designs, you can check out mey web site: www.robertwebb.com

Here are a couple of images that are on the site (do not eat before viewing the land yacht! YEEECH! It was a car built for Gallagher the comedian. The steering really worked from the flying bridge! The cobraesque thing was fun to do.):

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Returning to "New Center Console Project" in 3, 2, 1 ...

There are many slick buttons and switches available in electronic supply stores.

Yours are cool! They look rugged as well.

Marine application switches are designed to work around moisture and downright wet conditions. A convertible auto should benefit from them as well. Heck, even cars with crumby moon roofs could benefit!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts