Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
It is probably just something silly. Back to the basics...

What are the latest symptoms you are having now?

You are sure you are getting fuel? Good pressure, pump runs, fuel filter not clogged?

I can't remember, are you not getting spark to the distributor now? Static timing looks good? All the marks line up at TDC?

Battery is putting out good voltage and >10.5v while cranking?

Kevin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Latest symptoms: I keep it on the starter for a few seconds and nothing happens. As I let it off it coughs to life for a few revolutions sounding more like a steam engine than anything else. It is not similar to how it starts but stops as soon as you let it of the starter, when you forget to reconnect the temp sender after servicing.

Pump is working and there is smell of gas, that's all I can say. Static timing should be good according to markings but timing light is completely off, as from beginning.

I have a busy few days coming up and probably won't get to look at it again until next weekend. Your input is really appreciated, everyone.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
You may have already done this but I still strongly suggest you pull the vacuum hose off the pressure regulator and see if fuel comes out. If it does you need a new one and the engine will be flooding. It takes a few seconds to check. Mine eventually wouldn't fire at all when this was happening.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I haven't, I couldn't reach it without dismantling more than I have felt like yet. I am getting there though but I won't get to look at it again until the 27th.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I assume you mean where it connects to the regulator? I have had the hose disconnected where it connects to the intake, without having any fuel come pouring out at that end.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I assume you mean where it connects to the regulator? I have had the hose disconnected where it connects to the intake, without having any fuel come pouring out at that end.
Yes, pull the hose off the bottom of the regulator. If the diaphragm has a hole in it, fuel will go straight through and into the vacuum hose and get sucked into the manifold.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

There then. It took equal part frowning and muttering and finally some aggressive ignition advance. I have serious doubt about this distributor belonging to the rest of the ignition system. Nothing is lined up now but it does run and I have no idea how to set it up properly. Haven't streeted it yet so no idea what happens under load.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXqW5qPqrr8

There then. It took equal part frowning and muttering and finally some aggressive ignition advance. I have serious doubt about this distributor belonging to the rest of the ignition system. Nothing is lined up now but it does run and I have no idea how to set it up properly. Haven't streeted it yet so no idea what happens under load.
I've lost track of what else you have done so far, but is the distributor drive gear in the right place? It is really easy for the oil pump drive cog to move when changing the timing belt, resulting in the distributor drive being out of place and the timing way out. The drive gear just pulls out through the hole and can be turned and pushed back in. We had that happen with my son's engine. Check the manual for the correct orientation of the slot in the top.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I've lost track of what else you have done so far, but is the distributor drive gear in the right place? It is really easy for the oil pump drive cog to move when changing the timing belt, resulting in the distributor drive being out of place and the timing way out. The drive gear just pulls out through the hole and can be turned and pushed back in. We had that happen with my son's engine. Check the manual for the correct orientation of the slot in the top.
I can't find a reference to correct slot orientation, other than that the rotor is supposed to point towards cylinder no.1 and what that infers. But with the notch on the distributor (assuming it is the correct one...), dose it matter?

On the other hand, I just found that the ignition manual and the engine manual differs on crank positions during setup. Great...

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I can't find a reference to correct slot orientation, other than that the rotor is supposed to point towards cylinder no.1 and what that infers. But with the notch on the distributor (assuming it is the correct one...), dose it matter?

On the other hand, I just found that the ignition manual and the engine manual differs on crank positions during setup. Great...
If you take the distributor out when the engine is on top dead centre according to the crank pulley, you can see the drive key slot on the top of the drive gear. It is offset and should be in the correct orientation for the rotor to be pointing at number one lead. If, when you changed the timing belt, the oil pump drive cog moved, as it can very easily do, your distributor drive can end up quite a bit out and you won't be able to turn the distributor enough to time it properly. This happened when we did my son's timing belt. I ended up pulling the distributor drive gear out of the block and turning it to the right orientation and dropping it back in. It all lined up correctly after that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I will make sure to check that when I try out the vacuum distributor.

In other news, the horrible knocking sound heard at first start and at shutdown in the video above was remedied in less than five minutes by making sure the exhaust fittings are not tight against the body. Every little victory counts... :thumbup:

(In fairness to PO, I get the impression this car hasn't even been started with this system installed until I got it.)

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I have replaced the no-vacuum dissy with a yes-vacuum dissy, that was all I could manage in this heat wave we have had off late. In other words, I still have no vacuum for my vacuum dissy. Two images attached, one of the odd-one of my spare distributors. Anyone who can tell what it is? The other is of how I have to set the distributor to start the car. I feel like the slightly off position of things is supposed to tell me something but I cant quite wrap my head around it. It's almost like TDC isn't where the crank pulley is saying it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It is, but it is different from the others that I have. Three pin connector and completely different pulse generator.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,887 Posts
I'm not sure of your exact setup at this point, but be aware that there were two configurations for the vacuum distributor. The early GTV6s had a vacuum retard, and the later GTV6s (and all Milanos) had a vacuum advance. They pulled vacuum from different places (plenum vs. port vacuum, respectively). If you're going to hook up the vacuum on the distributor, make sure you've got the right setup.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts