Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so I got it stuck to me by a buyer (to remain unnamed) on two 24v twin turbo builds – a 3.7 litre and a 3.0 litre; both builds based on 1994 / 1995-generation 24 valve cores. Both were built with the same grade forged aluminium-alloy pistons from Ross Racing (100mm in the 3.7 and 93mm in the 3.0 litre) and then with the exact same forged steel chrome molly connecting rods from Pauter and Standard Competition rings from Total Seal!

This is an offer to purchase the complete 3.0 litre 24 valve motor! It has the exact same race-proven components that are in my own cars and in hundreds of Glenwood Motors big-bores running around out there however, simply as a 3.0 litre 24 valve configuration!

The crank is a standard 3.0 litre 72.6mm stroke unit, nitrated and built with the smaller journal, bullet-proof KA-24 main bearings and .10 thou connecting rod bearings! The heads are all new and prepared by Steve Hannaford of Progressive Automotive in Tacoma (look him up!) All of the sub-assembly preparation was done by John and Terry at Autosport in Seattle (they do tons of work for Ferrari of Seattle and Ferrari / Alfa of Tacoma!)

The pistons are flat-top finished with a 9.2:1 static compression and Total Seal Standard Competition rings! Your choices are then to either run this as a naturally aspirated full-race motor on pump-gas and in any category which restricts compression to 9.2 or 9.5:1 and 3000 CCs or below (and still blow 12 valve 3.0s out of the water), or to go with a supercharger, or with a single-turbo, or with a twin turbo setup! Since superchargers generally tend to run out of steam higher up in the rev-range, the best option on this motor is likely a larger single turbo, or twin smaller Garret roller-bearing turbos!

Here’s the best part; at the point where I realized that I was potentially going to get stuck with this motor, I had the final engine balancing completed with both a 164 flywheel & clutch-kit AND with a Milano / GTV 6 transaxle flywheel!

This means quite simply that you swap sumps and swap flywheels and now this motor can go in to any FWD Alfa Romeo with a front-mounted transaxle and you can go either single, LARGE turbo charger, OR with a supercharger setup! You can bolt any of the 5-speed 164 gearboxes or any of the 6speed 156 / 166 / 147 gearboxes right up to this motor!

Alternatively, you swap to the other 12v V6 transaxle flywheel & sump and the motor drops right in to any Alfetta Coupe or Sedan, GTV6 or Milano / 75 transaxle chassis! In either car, this motor sits right on the same engine-mounting points from 1974 to 2007!!!

Incidentally, on the forward-mounted 6-speed Getrag conversion in my 3.7 litre Milano, I used a 164 flywheel as well; now you can also do something similar to the Domingos / GoTech mid-engined 24v twin turbo 155 in SA and also use the 164 flywheel to bolt an Audi gearbox to the back of it, so the options are infinite here! You can go Porsche G50 behind it as well!

The buyer gets both flywheels and both sumps for total flexibility down the road!

Depending on what level of sorting is required, I can also supply intakes, headers and other parts, as well as assist in sourcing the turbos, intercoolers and other plumbing! I can also supply a fully-programmable, stand-alone engine management system with 6 individual coil-packs, or a single, 3x2 remotely-mounted, coil-brick...

I have the heads, sump and flywheel ready to go on, but will leave them off until the new owner steps up, inspects it all and makes a final choice on the chassis configuration! The original thread on the start of this project can be tracked here - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/153494-new-us-based-24-valve-twin-turbo-milano-project.html -

Give me a ring at 425.941.4747 and let’s talk, or drop me a line on email via [email protected] – I have plenty of pictures and other details!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Herer are some shots of the motor with the heads not on yet (ready for inspection...)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brand new valves, brand new valve guides, valve stem seals, valve seats, all rings, ALL bearings (big-end connecting rods, small-end wrist-pin bushes, crank mains bearings), brand new pistons (Ross Racing forged aluminium-alloy), brand new rods (Pauter forged steel chrome molly), brand new rod-bolts (ARP 2000), all new OEM gaskets & seals), brand new rings (Total Seal Standard Competition) - everything brand-brand new!

Ready for a turbo, twin turbos or a super charger in any 164 chassis, a Milano, a GTV6 or in an Alfetta Sedan / Alfetta GTV4 chassis!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The last picture (close-up of the ARP rod-bolt), also shows the new crank-plugs clearly!

The plugs were all removed, the sludge-traps all cleaned out properly, pipe-cleaners run through the galleys etc and then new plugs were tapped back in and tack-welded before balancing! (Over the years I have seen a plug or two come out and then the engine-pressure drops sporadically, so we tack them back in as an extra precaution.)

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those interested, I am moving forward with installation of this engine in a Milano test-car and with dyno mapping as a naturally-aspirated motor to seat the rings and validate the build prior to strapping on the hairdryers!

We have to do a quick re-dyno of a domestically rebuilt, all GTA-internals, 3.2 litre 24v first; once we yank that out and ship it back to the customer, this full-race 3.0 litre 24v will be ready to drop in to the same chassis and get to get mapped and dyno tested as an NA motor! It would be interesting to see what a 9.3:1 compression, full-race internals, 3.0 litre 24v will leave at the wheels without any boost. Once it has some hours on it, we will move to the twin-turbo phase. The motor remains for sale along the varying stages of this project – perhaps even installed in the Milano Verde test-chassis?

Let me know!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This brand new, forced induction-ready, 3.0 litre 24 valve V6 motor is back on the market! Talk to me. I have over 13K into it!

Depending on what level of trim and extra parts the buyer would want, somewhere in the 10K USD plus shipping takes the motor!

Email me via [email protected] or call me on 425.766.4278 to talk some more.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Merry Christmas folks!!

Guys, just as a reminder for those (few) of us who might still have something left in the bank after the holidays, this 3.0 litre, 24 valve, forced induction-ready motor is still for sale. It is ready for final inspection and then the heads can go on and the motor installed in a test chassis and run, or directly into your project! I will finish that final assembly and will even help with installation and final dyno-testing.

Please read the first post again! it truly is an amazing build and can go into ANY bloody Alfa - the way that i set up the balancing with TWO flywheels!

Talk to me please; I have some emergency family issues / responsibilities that have come up and need to get some cash-flow going - even if we set up some sort of progressive payment terms...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Engine

PM sent today.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The local 3.0 is sold. Lucky California buyer! :001_cool: The 3.7 forced-induction-ready build from this same thread is potentially still available if I don't find my own project to stick it in soon! (Exact same specifications however, with 78mm GTA stroker crank and 100mm custom pistons - same rods!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts