Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owing to my former position as Chairman of the Language-Other-Than-English Book-Judging Committee within the Society of Automotive Historians, I have contact with quite a few publishers, some of which email me when new books are released. Fucina Editore released one on the 6C 2300 and 6C 2500 cars very recently, and they are offering it at a promotional price for the time being. I ordered this and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I imagine precious little new data is being offered, considering the excellent books already available (by Fusi, Tabucchi, and Anselmi) and the extensive work done by John de Boer and others; but there are supposedly a number of previously unpublished photos. By the way, John, if you're reading this, I had sent you an email, but am not sure you're still using the same address. The last time we corresponded was 4 years ago.

Click here to see Fucina's English-language page on it, and to see a rather large and helpful excerpt PDF. The book is in Italian and English.

NEW BOOK ALFA ROMEO! Alfa 6C 2300-2500

·
Registered
169 Posts
New book on 6C 2300 & 2500

I just received my book (actually a 3 book set). It is a great addition to my library. The photo quality is great. There are a number of photos I have not seen in print. The book set includes some factory drawings, but unfortunately hard to read because they are reduced. There are some sections that describe a person's experience with a particular car, and I enjoyed that. There is a great section on the total racing history of these cars. Also there is a very nice section showing factory advertising literature. Overall this is well worth the money even if you already have the other notable books on the Alfa 6C 2500. If you don't have other books on the subject you should just get this set and you will include other previously published information.

·
Registered
96 Posts
6C 2300 - 6C 2500 Three Volume Set

These are an excellent set of Alfa Romeo books. The fact that the Italian text is matched with an English translation is obviously invaluable to English language readers. Though the translation does produce some odd constructs, the gist of the stories is there.

The back ground information about the factory management and model development of the late 30s and war years is fascinating. I have not found this depth of information before.

The chapter on the development of the Coloniale model is an example of these insights. It seems it came about at the request of the fourth Duke of Aosta (his highness the Viceroy of Ethiopia) who ambitiously envisaged the demand and production of 500 open tourer Coloniales per year. The need was for rugged terrain vehicles to support Italy’s colonial administration in North Africa. Alas this colonial empire had crumbled by the end of WWII.

The photographic collection of all model and body the variations in these books has significantly enlarged on the previously published material.

I second Fred’s review. This three-volume set is well worth the price if you are interested in Alfa’s history.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've been enjoying mine thoroughly. It is a fantastic work and the authors need to be congratulated. The chassis listing alone is superb, even more complete than Anselmi's. The chapters describing the evolution of the coachwork are excellent. The stories about the collectors and collections are fascinating.

As the former poster wrote, the Coloniale chapter is superb. I noticed a new set of production figures has surfaced for these, which includes some built in 1940.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts