Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last Sunday I flew down to Oakland and picked up my new Berlina 1750. It's actually a German market car that was imported to the U.S. in 1974 or 75.

The original 1750 has been replaced with a 2000. It has dual Webers (40 DCOE), 10548 cams and a 4.3 axle. It's cream (ivory) w/ black interior. Cosmeticallly it's presentable. The interior is in good condition. It's got low-back seats (like a Super), no headrests, a new headliner and a decent dash. The rust is superficial and not too bad at all. The front grill is a little ****eyed but I'll work on that.

My friend and I picked it up Sunday and hit the road. We made it as far as San Francisco and got a hotel for the night. The next day we really hit the road. We took Pacific Coast Hwy up to 101. This Berlina can really move. It's fast. We roared up PCH. The car never even broke a sweat. It was easily pulling 80 & 90 mph in 4th. The first half of the trip I didn't use 5th once. There was no need to.

The first night we camped outside of Fort Bragg (which is a complete dump BTW). The next day we drove to Crescent City then cut over to 1-5 where we pushed on to Portland. We spend the night in P-Land, got sloppy drunk and headed off for Olympia the next day.

Once in Oly we hung out at my friends house and the next day I took off for Seattle. The car did not miss a beat.

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WSP? Washington State Patrol? Is that what you are talking aboot?

I don't think it should be a problem. I mean, It was registered in CA and we know all about their Draconian laws.

I haven't registered it yet. I will do it at the end of this week. Am I going to have it inspected? Ugh. It will pass but it's a PITA.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hello Magista,
Congadulations on the newtoyou Berlina and your fun run up the coast.

No matter what language you speak, live in Italian !
MrC

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah, when I bought my GTV in Cupertino and brought it up here, the WSP had to inspect the chassis VIN and the engine VIN prior me being able to register it in WA. They did the same when I had the model year corrected on the title this spring. Beyond the stolen car issues, I was wondering if the engine/chassis VIN check wasn't a back door test for emissions tampering i.e. swapping an engine that doesn't meet the emissions levels for the year of the car's manufacture. Plus I was wondering if they were even savy enough to figure out that the car was not a N. American market car, and if that would be a problem.

Ciao,

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh sure, just keep rubbing it in! I was talking to Mr. Elrod first and probably shouldn't have let you buy it after that leaving-parts-in-the-parking-lot episode!;)

Congrats, sounds like you made a good purchase. My Berlina has all of 20 miles on it since the rebuild. Hoping to get to start driving it soon. It is at the upholstery shop this week. It had better be done soon, since Concorso is only 7 1/2 weeks away!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Congrats Damian! Sounds like you found a great Berlina. Did your little fire chief car find a home yet? I wish I could've picked it up. I will have a Berlina some day.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In response to the WSP issue:

I hope it's not a big deal. Hopefully they won't give me crap about the engine being swapped out. I pray I don't have to do emissions. I wouldn't think so since it's so old. We will see about the 105.48 thing too. I'll let you know how it goes.

In response to Jeff:

If we ever hook up I'll buy you those beers I owe you and let you drive the Berlina (pre-beer swillin' of course). I'll also be curious to know how you do at the Concorso.

In response to 67gtv:

The Fire Chief aka Heinz Katsup Mobile did find a home in...San Jose. I took one up to Seattle from the Bay Area and someone is taken one down. Berlinas are out there, it just takes a while to find the right one. Took me 2 years to find my first one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts