Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 69 roundtail I need a better battery suggestion ?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
If by better you mean less weight, try Odessey. Mine is two years on and the size of a large hard cover book.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As you all know spica need better cranking so I need good cranking battery.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The best thing I ever did for my Alfa was using a float charger. I have Webers and you have to crank it a bit. I use the cheap Harbor Frieght one. I have one on the Alfa, The Old Diesel, and the Boat. They work great and cost about 10 bucks or 5 or 6 on sale. Everything fires right up

·
Registered
150 Posts
I second ecohen2's recommendation, I've had an Optima in my 164 for a few years now and it has been very reliable and it is completely sealed.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Posted by greg
As you all know spica need better cranking so I need good cranking battery.
There is no reason why you should be concerned that a modern battery won't be able to meet you Spider's cranking requirements. If you don't want to spend the money on the higher end batteries that have been suggested in previous posts, you can get excellent ones from Interstate or Sears, and both have national warranties (at least if you are in the U.S.A.) You really can't go wrong, unless you have modified your car heavily and have unusual requirements.

Best regards,

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ditto

I actually need a new battery too for my 69 SPICA (I live in Europe). I went and got a good 12V 55ah 570a (cold crank I assume) and it turns over slowly it seems.... is it not enough ? my everyday car (honda) turn over very rapidly.
Do i need more cold cranking amps ?
If I get a larger battery ie: 70ah 640a will my bosch 45amp alternator be able to charge it ?
(I was told so many different things, I never understood how that relationship works ?).

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
How about a Lucas battery? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Battery

Well my car is not really original so I am not too picky about the battery brand..
My question is how many Amps and Cold Cranking Amps should I get ?
....and can my bosch 45A alternator (relatively new) charge it ?

Roland

·
On Vacation
11,150 Posts
I actually need a new battery too for my 69 SPICA (I live in Europe). I went and got a good 12V 55ah 570a (cold crank I assume) and it turns over slowly it seems.... is it not enough ? my everyday car (honda) turn over very rapidly.
Do i need more cold cranking amps ?
If I get a larger battery ie: 70ah 640a will my bosch 45amp alternator be able to charge it ?
(I was told so many different things, I never understood how that relationship works ?).
This batter sounds a bit on the weak side. The tech specs show that a 60 amp hour battery is what is needed. I'd look for something with about 750 cold crank amps.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Battery

Thanks Osso..... does that mean then that a normal 45a alternator will have no problem charging the batery ? How does the alternator amps relate to the capacity of the battery ?

Roland

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm a big fan of cheap batteries. I have been running the cheapest battery wal mart had ($32) in my daily driver 97 f150 since 1999 when the expensive one failed. So far it has never failed to start the 5.4 v8 on the first try...ever. It's been near zero or below evey day here for the about the last month I think. If an 8 year old wal mart special can do that, I'm sold. I figure I can buy about 30 years or more worth of cheap wal mart batteies for the price of one optima.:D I think the dry cells are cool batterys though. Maybe I'll buy one for the boat someday if the cheap wal mart battery in that fails to start the 455 after sitting all winter, but so far it hasn't done so for the three years it's been in there, and I cheaped out on the alfa battery too:D I prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I would venture to say that the "cheap" batteries of today are at least as good as the best batteries of 37 years ago. Yes, one has to consider the cranking power that is needed for a particular vehicle, but other than that, it is hard to go wrong...

Best regards,

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I'm a big fan of cheap batteries. I have been running the cheapest battery wal mart

Those yellow WM batteries are good batteries - I have their "top of the line:) " yellow in my '69 Corvette that gets drivin' little:eek: , is carbed:) and likes to crank a bit before it gets fired:( . I did some reading (but forgot now:confused: ) before I bought it on who made them and remember that it is made from good stuff. I think it has a 3 yr free replacement. I'm sure even their less expensive ones are **** good for the money.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I actually need a new battery too for my 69 SPICA (I live in Europe). I went and got a good 12V 55ah 570a (cold crank I assume) and it turns over slowly it seems.... is it not enough ?

IMO, that should be plenty to fire up the small 4 banger. Could be the starter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts