Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in the process of moving from Oakland, CA to Austin, and I'm glad to see there's a good Alfa presence in my future home. I'll be subscribing to this thread and hopefully participating in some future drives and get-togethers, so I thought I'd say hi.

I have a 1967 Giulia Super and a 1963 Sprint 1600. (I also have a '63 Chevy truck and a '60 Mini but I'm doing my best to sell those before the move.) The Super is a good driver and I'm having it shipped down, but the Sprint needs an engine rebuild, and I'm currently thinking the best plan is to stick it in a shop here somewhere and have it fixed, so I can return at a later date and drive it back down to Texas.

And there's where I have some questions that hopefully you all can help me with. Are there good Alfa shops in the Austin area? Are there good body / paint shops? Also, we've found a nice house in Hyde Park but its one *major* drawback is that it doesn't have a garage. If it did, I might be tempted to ship the Sprint down as well and take on the motor rebuild myself. If there are inexpensive / shared work and storage places where you keep your Alfas, I'd be interested to hear about them. Or if there are good Alfa shops, I could have the Sprint shipped as well and let a shop there take care of it.

Anyway, thanks for your help with these questions, and I look forward to meeting you all.

Aaron

·
Registered
744 Posts
Aaron --

Welcome!

It looks like the relentless force drawing Supers to Austin has snagged another one. We may outnumber the spiders soon.

Lots of local mechanical and paint & body talent in the area, and maybe at lower rates than the Bay area. I'll let others weigh in with specific recommendations on mechanics, but I've been pleased with the work that Rebreu Body & Frame did on my Super.

Ignore the sarcasm on another thread regarding Cars & Coffee at Mozart's Coffee Roasters and plan to join us on the first Saturday of the month.

I'll also put in a shameless plug for the Lucas-Marelli Tour coming this November. We'd love to have you join us and get an introduction to the great roads of the Texas hill country.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
First of all, Aaron, welcome to Texas and the Hill Country club! Our Alfa community has been in existance for many years, dating back to at least the early '70s. With your Super, we will now have a total or 8-9 Ti's and Supers which is pretty amazing for a relatively small club.

Re: houses. Almost every house in this area has garage space for at least two or three cars so I'm a little amazed that you found one with NO garage space? Keep looking, you can easily find houses with plenty of garage/shop space---it's part of the culture here. :)

Keep us posted on your move.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Our experience with housing and garage/shop space was that we were able to find something workable and affordable by looking further outside of the older central neighborhoods.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Welcome in advance Aaron. It's a fairly laid back and friendly Alfa group here. Small (60 or so registered) and not a lot of formality. We have a monthly CNC and two half-day tours a year and several other spurious events. Most are posted here. There is a Website, monthly newsletter, and editors John/Kim put out e-mail news blasts periodically. Get on John's distribution list (Laxman24 on the ABB). Austin is a great town but the weather really sucks lately (long-term drought and record heat wave). But then that depends on what you like. VERY different from Oakland for sure. Looking forward to ogling your Super! Bruce

PS: better keep one car with A/C for here . ..

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I have read about the Mozart get-together and look forward to attending, but I'm afraid I'm going to miss the September one as I'll be en route from California that weekend.

Regarding the garage, the house we're renting does have a garage but the landlord uses it to store the 15 or so Vespas and Lambrettas he's collected. Maybe he can be convinced to downsize his collection and make room for at least one of my cars.

The Bay Area is also filthy with Supers and TIs, so I'm glad to hear they are also well represented in Austin. My Super is a California native - I am just the second owner. It was purchased new on the lot barely 40 miles from where it lives now. Hopefully the Texas heat will help keep it limber in its old age.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Dry, limber and if in the sun, crisp. ;)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Hey Aaron, you here yet? No word in awhile. This coming Saturday is the first Saturday of the month and Cars & Coffee at Mozart's. Starts abut 0830 and continues to 11:00 or so. We'd love to see your '67. I'll bring my '65! We can answer all your questions there. Hope you are settling in well. And hope to see you!! Bruce

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
Looks like I'll finally be able to make one this weekend!! Still no Alfa though:mad: Looking forward to seeing the gang!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Can I pick you up on the way in? Or you could drive out early and pick one up! Better be open for lunch though!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all,

Yes I am here. The move was a pretty big undertaking and we're still getting settled, but hopefully we can make it to this weekend's edition at Mozart's. The Super is definitely ready for some exercise.

Thanks for the reminder! I apologize if I've missed anyone else's message, I haven't been spending much time on the AlfaBB of late.

Aaron

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry I missed meeting you & your friend Sat. morning. Looked up & you were gone. I left you my business card. If I can help in any way, give me a call. Joe

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
Can I pick you up on the way in? Or you could drive out early and pick one up! Better be open for lunch though!
Bruce,

I am so sorry...did not notice this reply until now. I did not mean to be rude Thank you so much for the offer! See you soon..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts