Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 speed 3.0 12v
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello my name is Chris, I’m from Ohio and have been a car guy my whole life, I have collected Chevy Citations my whole life and have 5 of them.
This Alfa Romeo got traded into the dealership I work at as a mechanic, and I thought it was really cool, and for 800 dollars, I decided to take a chance on it, I’m a good mechanic but I’ve never owned a European car, so it’s all new to me, but it does run and drive!
The car....So it’s a 1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 speed manual with a 12v 3.0 v6, 229000 miles on the car, it definitely needs some work but I’m very excited to tackle learning about this car and getting it roadworthy and enjoying it!

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Welcome, awesome with the picture on the first post. A 164 is a nice car. Enjoy the journey. If there is no record of a recent timing belt change that should happen fairly soon.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey!! Another 164 owner here in Ohio!! I’m not that far from you! You will find a lot of useful info here on the forums. Like the guy before me said, get documents on when that timing belt was changed. Congrats on the new Alfa!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ! Glad to be here, I have a LOT to learn about this car, I’ll put up a detailed post with lots of pictures this coming weekend in the 164 thread, I’ve heard Alfa’s are a headache lol, I’m ready to fix this baby up and drive her!

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
It’s a 1991, it’s 30 years old. It will be no more of a headache than any other similar car. More involved than a civic, less than a rolls. Some things will be easier to deal with than modern cars, some won’t. As long as the journey is fun for you. I sure enjoy mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just posted a much more detailed explanation of the car and many more pics in the 164-168 category

·
Administrator
17,768 Posts
Hello & welcome! I think you got a deal. Maybe not a steal but with some TLC and routine maintenance it'll be a fun ride. For sure take care of the timing belt - the Alfa engine is an 'interference' design. If the belt breaks or even just skips a couple of teeth valves & pistons will collide. Due to the limited belt wrap around the cam's timing gears & the workings of the tensioner, it is also advised to not let the engine turn backwards as this can allow the timing belt to skip a tooth or two.

Scroll on down to the 164/168 section. Check out Alfisto Steve's maintenance tips for lots of info about your Alfa. Perhaps start with the timing belt/tensioner replacement info.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,582 Posts
Welcome to the 164 ship of fools. We are a merry band of Alfaholic 164 owners. Looks like your other post in 164 section that I was answering your questions on just went into cyberspace and they edited and moved this one into new members before I saved my reply. Try again over there. Looks like over zealous cyber police at work.

164 & 168 (1991-1995) | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just posted a much more detailed explanation of the car and many more pics in the 164-168 category
Welcome to Alfisti world! The more you drive it the more you love driving, the sound, acceleration and handling... and the racing engine, the mighty Busso V6!
Definitely replace the timing belt and tensioner, as well as the adjacent water pump, given the miles on this survivor.
Plenty of knowledge and helpful tips on this board. Just about everything you need to know!

Doug
‘93 164S

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you would be kind enough to make a single post, I would be most grateful. I nuked your second post in the 164 forum and merged the remnants with this thread.
So I can’t make another post about my car? I don’t understand why? Should I just add to this post? I’ve never ran across a message board tht doesn’t allow people to make multiple messages, so I’m confused

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to Alfisti world! The more you drive it the more you love driving, the sound, acceleration and handling... and the racing engine, the mighty Busso V6!
Definitely replace the timing belt and tensioner, as well as the adjacent water pump, given the miles on this survivor.
Plenty of knowledge and helpful tips on this board. Just about everything you need to know!

Doug
‘93 164S
I absolutely need to change the timing belt , water pump, and thermostat before I even think about driving the car from what I read, but after that and fixing the other issues with the car I’d love to wake the exhaust up so I can hear that beautiful Busso v6 sing to me! This is going to be my 2-3 times a week pleasure car and I wanna make the most of it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally figured out how to open the trunk I know it sounds stupid, as a master tech, but I just don’t know these cars, and look what I found!

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,582 Posts
Welcome to the 164 ship of fools. We are a merry band of Alfaholic 164 owners. Looks like your other post in 164 section that I was answering your questions on just went into cyberspace and they edited and moved this one into new members before I saved my reply. Try again over there. Looks like over zealous cyber police at work.

164 & 168 (1991-1995) | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com)
Chris, Yes you can start a new post about your car. Just click on the 164 forum link above and there you will find a "start new discussion" button in top of screen. Try over on 164 forum for technical questions posts and we even have our what did you do Alfa related thread that has taken on a life of its own. See ya there.

As I said I was answering you technical questions in your first post over there but before I could get it saved the hallway monitor decided to move that post form 164 section.

Trunk lock has two position to insert and remove key fully left is valet safety position as one of original keys would not fit lock. Regular key does and turning lock clockwise not only unlocks trunk but can be moved in that position. Now you can pop trunk open with button on A/C panel.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,360 Posts
So I can’t make another post about my car? I don’t understand why? Should I just add to this post? I’ve never ran across a message board tht doesn’t allow people to make multiple messages, so I’m confused
You can make as many posts as you like. We prefer that you not duplicate posts about the very same topic. That way, it's much easier for members to follow your posts and not have to bounce around to different threads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts