Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've posted a couple of times, but I'm now officially an Alfa owner.

I brought home my first Alfa tonight, an '84 Spider. It starts (but won't idle till warm), runs (seems like it's missing), drives (fairly well) and stops (no problem here.) I figured I paid about $1500. I traded one of my Rovers for the Spider. He probably got the better deal up front since my '89 Range Rover was pretty well sorted out, but I probably got the vehicle with the most pentential.

I'm a long time Land Rover enthusiast and look forward to owning the Spider. I first plan to make sure the engine is viable. After that I'll move to fixing up the interior and replacing the top. The exterior is presentable with a paint job done by the PO. He admitted to putting some fiberglass on the outer rockers (rust), but the inner rockers are solid along with the rest of the body.

The engine has me a little concerned. I've been reading this BB every night the past week. Overall it appears these engines are fairly robust. My engine seems to be missing on the #2 cylinder. I pulled the plug leads while it was running and found no change in rpm when the #2 cylinder was not connected (sorry, didn't have time to do a compression check at the time.) The valves make a considerable amount of noise and an adjustment is likely near the top of my list. The ODO shows 104K.

By recommendation of the BB I ordered the CD-Rom with all the manuals. Looking forward to getting it this week and getting to work.

This Spider has not been very well taken care of. There are a lot of electrical connections/repairs/work-arounds that do not look stock. The exhaust manifold has been welded. The speedo and tach do not work (lower speedo cable missing, I guess I'll buy the single cable from the S2.)

I'm sure I'll have plenty of posts in the coming weeks.

Cheers,
Larry Michelon
VA USA
'84 Spider
'71 Land Rover IIa 88" (stock)
'94 Range Rover Classic (modified)
'89 Range Rover Classic (traded for Spider)
'05 Scion Xb (wife won't let me drive it)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
When the car is cold, the sensor that detects this should kick in and the ECU should trigger the sending of extra fuel. There could be several issues with this delivery, but rather than getting anxious I would suggest that you read this technical write-up: "BOSCH L-JETRONIC FUEL INJECTION IDLE ADJUSTMENT, DIAGNOSTIC AND TUNE UP PAGE for USA models of Alfa Romeo Spiders 1982-1989". It's an excellent write-up by several BB members, and you should become familiar with it in order to work on your Spider. BTW, excellent choice on the car - the '84 is my favorite year!

Best regards,

·
Registered
235 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Larry.

You'll quickly discover that these cars are special and simple enough to work on. The electronic fuel injection on these cars is robust and relatively simple to repair once you understand them.

One other item to check out is the aux air valve. I bet yours is failed. Do a search on it. I've repaired mine and located a decent source for an alternate part from JC Whitney (posts are all there).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chris. I will need to remember to slow down across THOSE railroad tracks.

Looks like I'll be taking a look at air leaks and the AAV first, then move on from there. I read through the lengthy L-Jetronic threads and websites. I guess ultimately I will need to check everything to know what I have to start with. Right now I would like to getting her running to a point she drives well and I feel comfortable enough to dump some money into more cometic and comfort items. Sorry, just can't live in a crappy interior.

Speaking of interior, I really favor the black, no-nonsense rubber mats of the older Spiders. I guess nothing is really preventing me from going down that road. Just wondering if the rubber mats will fit my '84.

Larry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the BB Larry!
You'll find that the members here are equally as helpfull as the members of Discoweb (for Rovers), and like Rovers, alfa's are a labor of love.
Even in good weather, I sometimes have a hard time deciding which to drive.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
If you ever need help with ac, heater core, water pump, clutch, pinholes in gas tank, trunk release cable, new cloth top, fuel pump, charcoal canister, trunk seal, vapor separator tank, shift boot, crankshaft seal, head gasket/related, let me know!! (uh, oooooh)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts