Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i recently bought a 91 alfa romeo spider with 5 speed tranny. it has 34k miles and from what i can tell mechanically sound. it does have a lot of rust which i plan on taking care of what i can.

For now i need to figure out how i can get the speedometer and odometer to work. i read i could try removing it and checking out for corosion and see if the line to the motor is nice and tight.

What would be the course of action to take before i start removing the trim and is there a good diy guide on removing it because from what i can tell id have to remove quite a bit to get.

Ill try and post some picture soon.
Is there a place where i can get different trim pieces? right now im looking to do something about the rust under the rear taillights i have a pretty nasty hole.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check the fuses. On my 87 the speedometer and odometer, heater fan, backup lights, and cigarette lighter are all on fuse #7, 10 amp.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,936 Posts
If you do need to remove the speedo, below is a good writeup.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/2902-how-fix-your-slow-reading-speedometer-tachometer-91-94-spiders.html

Sometimes the motors go bad or the solder joints to the pins on the board that go into the speedo fail. However, an unfortunately common failure mode is for the electronic speedometer sender to conk out. There's a cable that runs from the transmission to the sender, and then the sender sends pulses to the speedometer. On the 91-94 Spiders the sender is mounted underneath the car near the exhaust downtubes and I think it just tends to get baked by the heat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. From what I know they worked before the guy went on deployment and the car was sitting around for a year. I have a feeling it may be corrosion

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,936 Posts
Well, there's a three wire connector in the engine bay you can try cleaning. Should be near the brake MC. It's black, pink-white, and something else I think.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is this the only book ill need to do most of the stuff on the car myself? 10022 DVD, Alfa Romeo Spider 1982-94 Factory Manual

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,936 Posts
It's a good start. You may also want to pick up an exorcism kit and some holy water.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
inop speedo/odo

There is also a small plastic gear inside the speedo which can turn to dust. On my Volvo 850 I found several vendors online selling the gear so I bought one and put it in myself. On the Alfa I couldn't, I was just about to send it off to Palo Alto Speedo shop as they said they could repair it, when the opportunity to purchase a whole instrument cluster came by so I did that instead.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm having a similar problem- my tach, backup lights, heater blower, oil pressure gauge, and fuel gauge all stopped working since I did my clutch replacement. I think I made a short in the wiring around the gear shift. My #7 fuse pops immediately on key turn. My speedo works fine though... Not sure if this will help you, but good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i took it apart and tried to see what was wrong with it yet didnt help. i tried to clean out the 3 wire connector too it still didnt help. what would be the next step?

does anyone know if i could just put after market gauges?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
i took it apart and tried to see what was wrong with it yet didnt help. i tried to clean out the 3 wire connector too it still didnt help. what would be the next step?

Why shore you could....but don't expect to win any concours prizes with aftermarket gauges. :p

Besides, with aftermarket gauges you might gain some accuracy...and that would put you in an exclusive club within the Alfa community...

(Sorry, couldn't help myself) Good luck with the project. You have actually found a very good resource for assistance on your car. And before anybody else interjects.... We LOVE pictures!!!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,936 Posts
Well, of course, but it's probably going to be a lot easier to fix what you have.

Where are you at? Someone might be able to recommend a good speedo shop.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Did you check the fuses? It happens to me on occasion.

If your looking to replace, these look really good to me and not too difficult to install.

tach - speedo replacement

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i checked the fuses and im in hawaii oahu island so finding a shop or a place to get parts is quite difficult

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it was the fuse it was corroded but was still working yet after i cleaned it i guess it let enough voltage pass for speedo and tach to work but now my fuel gauge isnt working yet before this whole procedure it worked somewhat. it used to jump around like crazy when i was driving but when i just started it up it was reading right as far as i know. now it doesnt move at all

1 - 17 of 17 Posts