Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
Just a quick line to introduce myself and ask a few Q's...

I just purchased a 1991 Spider Veloce today!

Couldn't be more tickled, was out looking for something fun, something i could get into, and then I found this, this fella lives way out in the country, and their just haven't been many folks out there willing to part with their truck or out looking for italian convertible sports cars i suppose, because the fella was asking $4500, then $3800, and me laying out a couple c notes to a local shop to check the car out and getting the green light, i offered and bought it for $2500!

He had bought it to tinker on but never found the time, and after not selling it for a few weeks and the dealers barking at the door he had just had enough and wanted to take the dough and take a trip with his wife...

It'll need some things, it has 87K on it, and the door handles are snapped off, the passenger rear view mirror came off, the exhaust needs being done, and the top needs replacing... and a multitude of other nicks and knacks... But is is an otherwise pretty clean example.

I have to admit I've always admired the curve on the top of the doors on these cars, so when i looked at it i was smitten, but I'll tell you as soon as I fired it up I was in love ! The engine screamed so beautifully as I rolled on the throttle... Ah, I have found a new passion, my '91 Alfa Romeo!

Now that I have found you all, I suppose next I get active in a local Alfa Club, and find a mentor or two to help me work through this...

Any and all advise is welcome at this point, thanks for being here!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Welcoome to the BB and congratulations on your smart purchase. First, post some pictures of your new Italian Mistress. Second, let us know where you are located and well try to get you a mentor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I am in the Charlotte North Carolina area, just south actually in Ft Mill South Carolina.

Pictures posted above... ;-)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Congrats, she's a beauty. There are those on this board that will tell you that the black ones are the fastest. (There are those with white Spiders that will disagree.)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,124 Posts
$2500? Wow, even with the needs that's a steal! Enjoy it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are some of the best sources for parts and the like, any place we have found for tops that is more preferable then another?

Is there a links page about here somewhere?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Sources for parts will "pop up" here on the BB - Centerline, International, Vicks, and more - (no particular order listed!!)
There's a group of Alfisti in Charlotte who belong to the Mid Atlantic Chapter of AROC - Check out the link below in the Chapter forums - check on their meeting times and places and make yourself familiar, and at home!!!
Try the AROC-USA website to get you linked to their website.
Welcome!!!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
congratulations!

nyc had a great mechanic in the area and then he moved to charlotte:

Home Page

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
What are some of the best sources for parts and the like, any place we have found for tops that is more preferable then another?

Is there a links page about here somewhere?
Right at the top of the "Anything about Alfas . . ." forum is a sticky with a supplier list.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys...

I intend to do just that!

I ordered the ref materials posted in the sticky in "All about Alfa's...", and have emailed our Alfa Club Chapter...

Am pouring through the International Catalog, and my copy of the Alfa Tech Manual "Assistenza Tecnica"... It is a 1990 version but I am assured the shop copy is for the 1991 production year as well...

Anyway, feels good to have found a new thing that is keeping me awake at nights thinking about it wishing dawn would break so I can jump in and fly off to the office...! ;-)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Charles -
Better dawn should break and you fly off, than to have something on the car break and fly off!!!
Once you join the club, check the library listing on the website and request the librarian ("Papajam" on the bb) send you the parts and owners manuals for your specific model. Just another benefit of membership!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol

Speaking of flying off...

What's the deal with the door handles on these spiders?

Both of mine are... sounds weird just writing it... but both of mine are snapped in half?

Is that a common thing?

I have the handle pieces and they are a little thin, so I could see how it could indeed be a common thing...

If so is there a standard fix?

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,156 Posts
Hi and welcome to the BB, your Spider is a nice find!
I'm very careful with my door handles but all 4 are fine. Check in parts for sale, usually quite a few bits and pieces for our Spiders available.

Oh and just so you know ;) Red is Best! :D
Enjoy!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The outer handles?

No, it's not common for them to break unless they've been reefed really hard onnaconna the latch was stiff, the linkage was wonky, or, more likely, somone had the door locked and a rude little snotbag came by and ranked them to pieces in an effort to be a dick. (likely not smart enough to cut the top to gain entry to steal, so tried the next best thing)

BTW, if you weren't yet aware, beyond the key in the outside handle, the doors can be locked by pushing the inside handles foreward.

The only repair is replacement, though a while back there was a rather creative 'fix' that someone had pulled off using an aluminum motorcycle clutch lever.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more quick pic...

IMG00028-20100523-1636.jpg

This is gonna be fun...

The exhaust is pretty much shot - and funny thing is with this car its really making me think twice about fixing it - it just sounds so good! ;-)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Darkside... can't help myself...

I assume from your post, etc., the darkside implies tricking out the car with high performance parts and stuff as opposed to taking the... shall we say more traditional approach?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts