Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Alfa 1981 spider veloce going to restore it for the wife (got the car for 200 dollars at auction) The car is in great shape motor is not locked up but needs work. I want to put duel carbs on it for more performance and I have been told the spica is not that good, so I will be selling the intake, air box, and pump to help finance the carb conversion. My question is were do I start, and what all do I need, besides the carbs. (cannot find a conversion kit)

·
Premium Member
9,975 Posts
First off, a Monofarfalla airbox and manifold are basically worthless. Also, used injection pumps aren't worth very much either, since any buyer is taking a big chance on the condition of the pump. You might get $25 for it, probably nothing if it looks old and rusty.

Conversion kits are available from Centerline and International Auto Parts and they're not cheap. Expect to spend about $1700 for a kit. Also, keep in mind that it might violate emission laws in your state if you do the conversion, and carbs will almost certainly fail an emissions test (if you have one).

You can occassionally find carbs on Ebay varying in condition from needing overhaul to outright junk. They seem to go for $400-500 a pair. Plus you'd need an intake and the throttle linkage, plus a blocking plate for the injection pump mount and a set of air filters. They're not cheap, however and rarely do they include all the bits and pieces you need, like the throttle linkage, etc. I would highly suggest that you do some more reading on Alfas before you decide to make major engine modifications. If your injection pump is good, I'd convert it over to the quad butterfly intake of the earlier model Spica system, before I'd sink serious money in a carb mod. Those parts are available cheap. Just depends how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
666 Posts
:D Ebay is a good place to start- a lot of intake manifolds, carbs (usually Weber 40DCOE or some variation- occasionally Dellortos or even Solex dual sidedrafts pop up, though). You'll have to aquire linkage, gaskets, Fuel lines, filter, proper fuel pump, air cleaners, etc. etc. A good alternative is a conversion set up from a vendor such as Centerline or International Auto Parts- the advantage being all new parts, pretty complete set up and minimal hassels, but it'll cost you:eek: . If the car is running good, I'd say stick with the fuel injection- there's a lot of good threads on the bulletin board on mechanical F.I. maintenance and SPICA related subjects- check it out before sinking a lot of money into a dual carb set up. Best bet is to take it to a reputable Alfa mechanic in your area and have the mechanicals checked out and get some feel for how the engine is overall- sounds like you got the car at a real bargain price, all things considered. Of course, there's something about opening up the hood and seeing those beautiful Webers, not to mention the sound of the engine- good luck and welcome to the fraternity!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have owned in the past three Alfa's with Webers and two with the multiple butterfly Spica system. I hated the first Spica system as it was never right from the day I bought the car new from an Alfa dealer in Seattle. I converted it to Webers after moving to Alabama and was happier, however, after returning to Seattle, I had to sell it as it would never pass the emission tests!! I then got a '71 Berlina and had a friend setup the Spica properly and it was a delightful change!! I was then convinced that a properly setup Spica was better than the Weber setup. I had screwed around with Webers over the past 48 years on many cars, Lotus 18's, Super 7's, Elans, 11's, Elva F-Jr's and all were a PITA!!

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
The thing that makes Webers work or Spica zing is better cams.
When I changed over to Webers on my 77, It was because the Spica was shot and I had no clue how to fix it. I had been a Fiat 124 spider nut for years and the Alfa Spica was a strange set up for me.. Just give me some carbs and I'll make this baby run again, after many years. But it was only when I put some better cams in that the thing came alive. A totally different car. I know they make high lift cams for Spicas too. If the Spica is cookin Ok and you want more kick, think about Cams, and Possible Head work.

·
Premium Member
9,975 Posts
Stan Murray said:
The thing that makes Webers work or Spica zing is better cams.
When I changed over to Webers on my 77, It was because the Spica was shot and I had no clue how to fix it. I had been a Fiat 124 spider nut for years and the Alfa Spica was a strange set up for me.. Just give me some carbs and I'll make this baby run again, after many years. But it was only when I put some better cams in that the thing came alive. A totally different car. I know they make high lift cams for Spicas too. If the Spica is cookin Ok and you want more kick, think about Cams, and Possible Head work.
For a SPICA setup, the stock pump is ok with Eurocams and hi-compression pistons. Anything more than that, you'd need a high performance pump from Wes Ingram.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info

I will take a long hard look at it before I drop 1700 on carbs. And yes I am an C130 engine mech. (working on birds older than me). Thanks for the info. Also I guess my needles being off the the tach and speedo is correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts