Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!! I'm a new member here. Always had a soft spot for Alfa's and just purchased a 1988 Alfa Spider from the original owner. She has only 21k Miles!! Body and original paint are near perfect. Top and interior are excellent too. Bought it sight unseen, 1500 miles away but it wasn't running!! Thanks to all the help in here, fixed the electrical issues, she's running now after 2 days!!:) She does have some oil leaks from sitting which was expected, including but not limited to: Rear main Seal, trans shaft seal ??, right rear axle seal, and Differential, etc. I'm a car guy, not a mechanic; but would like to start working on it. Any ideas as to where to start, and how to get parts? I would also like to buy a cup of coffee for Alfajay who's 5 minutes away from me :) Anyways, I'm so glad to join an awesome group of people here.
Thank you all!!
Mario From South Orange County.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Welcome ! Hope to meet you soon at Cars & Coffee !
Don't let all of the oil leaks get you down. That is Alfas rust prevention program !
Randy

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
88 spider with 21K and from the original owner! Whatever you paid it was the deal of the year. Good on you!

I also own and 88 Quad, but sadly not original owner, over 100K, and kicked around a bit. But with 4 years of work and unmentionable $$ invested, It is coming around.

Consider yourself luck as well as smart.

Robert

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
88 spider with 21K and from the original owner! Whatever you paid it was the deal of the year. Good on you!

I also own and 88 Quad, but sadly not original owner, over 100K, and kicked around a bit. But with 4 years of work and unmentionable $$ invested, It is coming around.

Consider yourself luck as well as smart.

Robert
Hi Robert,
Actually I didn't pay that much, cost me about 5 grand including shipping. I think I got a good deal since the car has no rust. But the oil leaks are going to be expensive to repair.
You have obviously put in a lot of love for your quad, bet she's awesome :)
Thx for your support!
Best, Mario

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
But the oil leaks are going to be expensive to repair.
Best, Mario
May be, maybe not. Common oil leak is the short rubber connector hose at the bottom of the dip stick. Cheap and easy to fit. Other sources not so easy. Leaking front and rear oil seals ARE expensive. But auto parts stores offer motor oil additives with seal swelling properties. There is disagreement among Alfa owners about using these, but if all else fils it may be worth a try vice removing and replacing the engine just to change the ft and re seals. Another good attempt is to re-tighten all the oil pan and front cover gaskets you can reach. This is not easy, but costs nothing other than a lot of dirty crawling around under the spider. If you don't already, buy a good set of metric hand wrenches and socket set. For tightening up pan bolts 1/4 inch are the best to reach hard to reach places and get into tight places. You can get enough torque on a 1/4 inch set to determine if the tightening process is woth the effort. Don't assume that all the bolts are correctly tightened or even there. You can never count on the last mechanic to work on the car to have done a proper job of it.

And BTW, you did get a bargain!

Robert

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, she does look awesome! Love the hard top! Where did you find it?
Below dip stick is dry, The whole tranny is soaking with oil! I know what you mean about the rust prevention program ...lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts