Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this vehicle from a junkyard. I don't have possession of it yet as it is being shipped to me in Wisconsin from out west. I
have spent countless hours researching these things and can't seem to find any info on them . Supposedly it has a "blown" engine. Thats all the details I could get. Supposedly everything else mechanically was in good shape when it blew. I found the previous owners blog where he shipped it to New York from Italy and then drove it to Alaska in early 2015. He left Alaska in July and the engine blew on the way back to New York, unfortunately customs would not give him an extension on his visa to wait for the engine repair so it was junked. I have been in contact with the previous owner. I have not found anywhere online a listing that said what engine came in these. But I did find a local craigslist ad with the engine pictured below. Supposedly the engine on the pallet is a Renault 90hp brand new crate engine! Looking at the timing cover and the timing cover in the picture of the van engine compartment it sure appears to be the same. But I have not found any listing of a renault engine ever coming in these trucks. Anybody familiar with these or if this could be possible?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Hi Tyler, welcome to AlfaBB!

You may want to send the chassis number to Marco Fazio at [email protected] and ask if they have any information and/or service manuals for this model -- or if he could direct you to a source of such information.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hello, nice find!
A brief outline from what I read in the Alfa camion book;
Your camper is basically a FIAT ducato/daily line of vehicles built by Arveco, the comercial division of Alfa, in part of the Sud factory.
The engine is a SOFIM unit, a joint venture of Fiat & Renault.
Reanult's Saviem line of commercials also ran these engines.
So, chances are you might have hit pay-dirt!
Best regards, Vince. '61 Romeo2 van.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
FYI, as I was rummaging through some of my files, and came across two parts catalog microfiches for the AR8 Turbo (in Italian language) that I bought on eBay several years ago:

Part No. 60495179: AR8 TURBO PARTI DI RICAMBIO (MECCANICA), 1a Ed., 1-1985, Fiat Auto S.P.A. Torino, D.C. Direz.Post-Vendita.
Part No. 60495180: AR8 TURBO PARTI DI RICAMBIO (CARROZZERIA), 1a Ed., 1-1985, Fiat Auto S.P.A. Torino, D.C. Direz.Post-Vendita.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
almost two years

Hey Tyler,
I know it's been a while since you originally posted the AR8. could you possibly give an up date of your progress, I'm curious if no one else! and I'm sure there IS another interested on the AR8?!?

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Me too. How's it going with the van?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The AR 8 is a badged engineered IVECO DAILY. IVECO is a Fiat owned truck and panel van company. Read about IVECO here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iveco
The Fiat Ducato is not a part of IVECO but uses the Sofim engines. Fiat Commercial vehicles are sold by the Fiat Auto dealer network.
Peugoët and Citroen sell the Ducato but with other model names.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts