Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Just took delivery of my 1974 Alfa 2000 GTV! It made its long journey from NY to its new home in California! First time Alfa owner, and I must say, I really get the whole Alfa thing now! It really is like an addiction or something - I'm constantly thinking about driving it!!

Really quick question for anyone that might be able to help - does anyone else have the issue with the 105/115 where it is hard to pump gas due to the neck of the fuel tank being too "steep", in other words, the pump not being able to go all the way in, and therefore having to hold the pump trigger half-way just hovering over the hole, instead of being able to just leave it in and fill-up?

Very excited to be part of this forum! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Welcome!
God bless the Calif smog nazis..I use a length of 1" heater hose slipped over the nozzle and hold the collar back by hand
All the best
Chuck

·
Push hard and live
10,178 Posts
You jumped into one of the several sweet spots.

As to the fueling question...

Learning where and how a woman needs and wants to be touched is, perhaps, the greatest reward for being with her.

Reactions: 74GTVeloce

·
Registered
531 Posts
I saw this one on ebay. Nice car.
Solution to your fueling issue.

Option 1: Use a long heavy bar and place it inside the filler in to the tank and then slightly bend the neck inward. Just be very careful not to bend too far, you may crack the neck. If option 1 didn't work for you then go to option 2.

Option 2: Cut the neck about 1.0 to 1.5 inch above the top breather line and use a 2" diameter rubber hose and two clamps to reconnect the parts. This will give you the flexibility you need to the neck to easily pump gas.
I'm near OC Airport. If you near Costa Mesa area swing by and I be glad to help. Just PM me for address.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I even have the same problem with both Milano cars. I have to hold the gas hose or have it fall off the car. I do not have the problem with old 1961 Sprint Veloce because the filler is vertical and not at an angle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!
God bless the Calif smog nazis..I use a length of 1" heater hose slipped over the nozzle and hold the collar back by hand
All the best
Chuck
Lol f4driver! So true about the **** California smog...... this is why I keep all my cars 1975 or older lol :)

Will keep in mind about the hose technique! Do you keep the hose in your trunk then? Doesn't it make the trunk smell? Or I guess you keep it in a tight zip-lock bag or something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You jumped into one of the several sweet spots.

As to the fueling question...

Learning where and how a woman needs and wants to be touched is, perhaps, the greatest reward for being with her.
Hahaha DPeterson3, that is very wise advice indeed ;)

And I have discovered that Alfas, just like women, do not like it when cold...... I found out the hard way when she turned off at a stoplight and took me a few minutes to get her started again, fun times :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw this one on ebay. Nice car.
Solution to your fueling issue.

Option 1: Use a long heavy bar and place it inside the filler in to the tank and then slightly bend the neck inward. Just be very careful not to bend too far, you may crack the neck. If option 1 didn't work for you then go to option 2.

Option 2: Cut the neck about 1.0 to 1.5 inch above the top breather line and use a 2" diameter rubber hose and two clamps to reconnect the parts. This will give you the flexibility you need to the neck to easily pump gas.
I'm near OC Airport. If you near Costa Mesa area swing by and I be glad to help. Just PM me for address.
Thanks nngtv! Were you one of the people that bidded up the price for me? :D

I'm near the Pomona area, so not too far from the OC! So I might just take up your offer and pay you a visit! Do you do most of the work on your car? I would love to learn more about working on Alfas myself. The car is in pretty good working condition, and the wife and I have already put about 500 miles on it after having it for only about 1 week! But there are always a few little things that could be improved of course....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the quick response by the way guys! Very happy to be part of this forum! I see that quite a few of y'all are in the southern California region. Do you all have car meets that you go to here and there? Would love to meet some of you fellow Alfa lovers! :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome!!!

Shameless plug for our SoCal Alfa club:

http://www.arosc.org/

We enjoy socializing, touring and attending shows together. And there is a competition group that does track and time trials several times a year.

PM me if interested further, and I'll provide lots of details.

Cheers!

Jim Barrett

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Welcome!! Cool car.
Hold the gas nozzle upside down when pumping work great for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol Cobralfa!

Shameless plugs are the best plugs :)

Looks like fun! I will PM you right now! Look forward to meeting you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice car! I've had my '74 GTV for 33 years next month. It's outlasted two wives and god knows how many girlfriends. You keep what's important! Be careful though, they're addictive, and one is not enough. My '69 Giulia Super is scheduled to arrive at the Oakland docks (I bought it in London in January) on the 14th.

I've had the same problem with the fuel filler neck. But it's a minor thing.

Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone! Just took delivery of my 1974 Alfa 2000 GTV! It made its long journey from NY to its new home in California! First time Alfa owner, and I must say, I really get the whole Alfa thing now! It really is like an addiction or something - I'm constantly thinking about driving it!!

Really quick question for anyone that might be able to help - does anyone else have the issue with the 105/115 where it is hard to pump gas due to the neck of the fuel tank being too "steep", in other words, the pump not being able to go all the way in, and therefore having to hold the pump trigger half-way just hovering over the hole, instead of being able to just leave it in and fill-up?

Very excited to be part of this forum! :)
Well, leave it to the Italians (of which I am one), both the good and the bad. When these cars were made, the Calif. smog pump nozzles did not exist. BUT INCREDIBLY EVEN IF YOU ORDER A BRAND NEW TANK, THEY ARE STILL MADE THE SAME WAY. Some of these GTVs (I have an award winning 1974) were made with the lower gas tank tube. If you are not one of the lucky ones, you will need a solution. There are a number of them like the post before me. I went to Tom Sahines in Fremont Calf. who is a stalwart in the Norcal ARA. He attached a "come along" strap to my gas tank pipe, attached it to a telephone pole and yanked it. The pipe came out just enough not to press against the gas door, and now I can pump gas without the hassle! Thank you Tom.

·
Registered
653 Posts
and this is why I like fuel cells....

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Fuel cells are totality cool, but a funny story. Was filling my race car and the attendant ran out yelling, but soon realized his mistake.
Just hold the nozzle upside down. Have to do this on all my ALFAs. Don't be cutting your car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone! Yes these Alfas are definitely addictive! Now I have to either build a bigger garage, or buy a house with a bigger garage! :(

Do you all mostly have Alfas only, or a mix of other makes too?

I will try the upside down nozzle trick tonight actually! Will let you know if it works!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts