Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been looking for another Alfa for a few years now, and saw a deal on Seattle CL which I thought was ok. Here's the Ad, let me know what you think:

'82 alfa romeo spider - $500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. daily short trip runner, licensed thru june 08
2. owned since 93
3. ivory ex., tan int.
4. 135K, good engine/trans/rearend
5. needs: top, tires, exhaust work, fresh battery, trunk lid and cable, fresh suspension, etc.
5. good parts car or project for restoration
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to be truthful, I love the look of the Spiders, but never really wanted one. I am 6'4" tall, and they are a bit tight for me, plus the whole "Top Down" thing never appealed to me. I read the ad, and the guy (Greg) didn't post a phone number, so I sent him an email last night, but got no reply.

I figured the car had sold, but decided to send him another email from work. He emailed me back, and said the car was still available. I told him I would be up tonight to take a look. I drove to Lake Stevens up I-5, and got to his house in about 40 minutes, and there was the little Alfa Spider.

It's got some rust, needs a few things, but sure enough, he started it right up. I looked at it in the waning sunlight, taking stock of all the details and future costs in my head. I jumped in and took it for a short ride. The engine feels strong, the transmission is perfect, no grinding at all in any gear. I shifted into 2nd gear both up and down at speed and it was very smooth. The dash is uncracked. I didn't see any oil drips on the street after I got back.

It has some body repair and damage, and it needs a Top, Exhaust, Tires, but it seems like a decent deal for $500.00. The current owner has had the car since 1993, and has spent some money keeping it up. I think the worst things is that the Cable which opens the trunk broke, and he needed to get some items out, so he bent the rear hatch getting it open. I imagine it will need a new one, but that seems easy at this point.

Well, that's it, I just got home from the purchase, and I have to go pick the car up tomorrow night. I got the Title signed over and am looking forward to fixing it up. The first thing I'm going to do this week is start my repair/replacement list and get a few things on order. I don't know a lot about Spiders in particular, but at least I see plenty of parts for them usually.

Here's a few pictures. I know it looks a bit shabby, but it will look great soon enough!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
looks like you got yourself a nice deal! Congratulations!

·
Registered
129 Posts
looks clean in the engine bay.......... for 500 bucks you can drop the top and drive and nobody will be the wiser.

Good luck with the car it was well worth that money in my opinion

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weird, my pictures aren't showing up now? They were there last night, anyone have a recommendation for Image Hosting?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I can see the pics just fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts