Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 672 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you read the details on the 4WD system? It's got "three differentials and a torque splitter that favours the rear axle. The Q4 system modifies the torque split between the front and rear axles constantly, according to the grip. This feature is particularly important for a sporty driving style and sportiness, and it boosts active safety."

it's apparently larger as well. But overall, I really like the design.

RT

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I wonder if it will be used in the next World Touring Car Championship season, or is that too soon for a new car? That torque split should do them nicely in instances where the BMWs have an advantage due to being RWD.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
so hott, wat a beaut and apparently its built like a german car, cant wait for the GTA and crazy diesel version.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I love it especially the Q4 drive - wow! And I can't have it. :(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Can't see the photos. The links aren't working!! :confused:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
italiaspeed site has some problems maybe too much visitors or someone hacked it ;)

another site with 159 and brera pics and details

http://car.kak.net/

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
159 amazing chassis....read 4

1)156 used to be small by class standard, so predictably, 159 has grown considerably larger. It is 4,660 mm long (+230mm), 1,828 mm wide (+78mm) and with a wheelbase of 2,700 mm (+100mm). However, Giugiaro emphasis a sporty profile, thus actually reduces its height by 3 mm to 1417 mm

2)Inside, although we have no pictures to prove, Alfa promises a driver-focused design, with wrap-around center console and all instruments turned towards the driver.

3)This platform employs sophisticated double-wishbones front and multi-link rear suspensions. It is either FWD or 4WD, the latter by Alfa's Q4 system. The Q4 employs a Torsen C center differential to transmit 57% torque to the rear axle normally and provides limited slip function when one axle spins. It is therefore more rear-biased than Audi's Quattro system

4)One of the most remarkable things is chassis rigidity – the chassis of 159 achieves 31400 Nm / degree, a figure so high that I'm afraid only VW Phaeton can exceed. For instance, Opel Vectra and Saab 9-3 are 18,000 and 20,000 Nm / degree respectively. The 159 uses multi-ply sheet metal, extensive laser welding, boxed element structure etc. to achieve high rigidity. This benefits crash protection, NVH suppression as well as handling

bmw 3 has only 19000nm

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
indeed the 159 should be the best handling cars in its class, with so much torsional rigidity, well laid out suspension and a clever AWD system, expect class leading dynamics.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I'm sure the 159 will be a very nice car, but with AWD, will have to cost $40,000 plus...and what V6 will they use? If it's the GM Australia Holden motor, then is it really an Alfa?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I heard of the grape vine that apparently GM has unloaded FIAT, i dont know who to, but that means hopefully no more GM intervention, and ill take that Q4 system with an appropriate GTA engine mounted to it in this 159, and show all these Australian Holden yuppie owners what it means for a car to have a soul in it :p

·
Registered
702 Posts
Skarpur said:
I heard of the grape vine that apparently GM has unloaded FIAT, i dont know who to, but that means hopefully no more GM intervention, and ill take that Q4 system with an appropriate GTA engine mounted to it in this 159, and show all these Australian Holden yuppie owners what it means for a car to have a soul in it :p
You may want to check out this thread: Fiat rumour

1 - 20 of 672 Posts