Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of not having a transaxle Alfa I just picked up a beauty. 75,000 documented miles with receipts that fill a four inch binder. Has usual one two crunch and t.o. bearing seems to have high uptake on clutch although clutch grabs fine. Included was a brand new dual disc clutch (have not seen one of those in a long time). I don't know if I'll do syncros first and swap gears (maybe) or t.o. bearing and clutch. Anyway I'm super excited to be back in the rwd gang. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I'm turning green - I badly want a nice, clean, late-model red GTV6 like this (I just have too much going on right now...)

Congats!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea it's nice. The engine bay looks eight months old not 23 years and so does interior. Milano AC, Koni's all around... I'm pretty stoked.

Thoughts of "Gordenizing" have run through my head but I think I'll leave that for another GTV6.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Wasn't this the ebay car that ended recently for like $4800?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This one ended on Ebay for $4300 but the hi bidder was a fanthom. I got it for much less.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'm so unbeleivably jealous. Glad it went to a good home. And I thought $4300 was a steal. Anything less was insane.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I paid $3750.00
Oh get this all the receipts are in chronological order starting with the Tuff Coat under carraige spray job the first owner did at 156 miles. It will take me a day to read all things that has been done since new.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
12 miles away and $3750!! **** you Californians! :D ;)

Seriously though, it sounds like you made an outstanding purchase. I'm just curious....how much was the bill for the Tuff Coat back in '84?
$249.00 and it had a five year warranty. It sure worked great since I have seen no rust anywhere. It did start as a NJ car, then Charlotte, Nashville and then Cali.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Alfa Tango 1, I picked up an '84 as well recently

Congrats, good find! I have worked for the last 6 weekends getting a 1984 GTV6 working. It is from a friend that abandoned it in his backyard. It is red as well, but with faded paint. After some polishing, I hope it'll shine up like yours. Anyways, this one has 32,500 miles and I picked it up for even less, 500 dollars. I have put 700 dollars into it so far, and I still need new tires, so something like 2K total price tag. But my labor is worth something, so that prolly takes it up to 3 or 4K.

I think I have the one two crunch problem, if you mean synchro problem in first gear? You said something about fixing that, is that easy? It sounds like a major transmission rebuild or something? BTW, I'm in Norcal, where are you?

Ciao, Sal

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The tranny crunch will require a rebuild. The syncros in the first and second gear are worn. I'll replace the first three synchros during the process. I also am contemplating changing gears ratios to a more relaxed 3.55 or so but have not decided. I may stay with the 4.10 that it currently has.

Congrats on your good purchase too. So your motor is good with 32K on it? That's great!

I'm in San Diego btw.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So far I've found Shankle headers and cams, big valves and Koni shocks. Then again I have not looked too much. The usual donut replacement a number of times, water pump, tensioner yada yada. I'll peruse it more in the next few days. I'm just getting reaquainted with the 4.10 gears and don't know if I want to switch to 3.55 from a Milano. I do like cruising at 85-90mph and am leaning towards the 3.55's. What do you guys like?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow, what a fantastic find! Congrats, she's a beauty.

Unfortunate, however, regarding the price of nice gtv6's. I thought they were going up. Under $4k is a steal!!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are going up. This is one of those timing deals. Seller needs cash to close on his house so he couldn't sit too much longer. In my opinion this car, with time to sell properly should be around $6500.00 to $7500.00

1 - 20 of 44 Posts