Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got offered an 84 from a guy locally. he had been having lots of "issues" with it...body is pretty solid and interior is decent. but yes it has some fuel injection issues...hopefully nothing that can't be sorted out.

Does anyone have a Papajam diagram for the 84 Spider? If so can you please send it via PM in accordance with the BB guidelines? That is how he wanted them shared I think?

I could also use a 78 Papajam diagram. I have a paper Papajam diagram that came with the car but nothing digital that I can blow up large scale for better reading.

obligatory photo of "new" 84 Spider posted...need ideas for a name...

Also the 78...was member's "Bill" old car...will be getting it back on the road soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
can't help solve the money pit thing;)
but Jim's 78 and 84 diagrams were sent to your conversations box:)
Dom

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well...the money pit was a price I couldn't refuse...well maybe I should have. I really prefer the "purity" and simplicity of the S2.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,505 Posts
Here's a good guide for troubleshooting L-Jetronic.

It's usually not that hard to figure out. The vast majority of problems with L-Jet are related to air leaks.

·
Administrator
17,012 Posts
Haha. How much will this free car cost...?

Here's my tip. Take your digital copies of the wire diagrams (on a flash drive) to an office supply store. Have them print out 11" x 17" color copies and plastic laminate them - perfect for garage use!

Also, note that Jim Neill's (Papajam's) wire diagrams are copyrighted. He gave them to Alfa owners for free but always asked they not be sold or posted publicly. We want to maintain his wish.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also, note that Jim Neill's (Papajam's) wire diagrams are copyrighted. He gave them to Alfa owners for free but always asked they not be sold or posted publicly. We want to maintain his wish.
Those wiring diagrams from papajam are fantastic. So much nicer than the b&w versions in the repair manual I have. Hard to believe that he produced them on his own. With all the colors, they look a bit like the London Tube map :)

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
need bigger than 11x17. My 78 came with a huge poster size papajam...something like 3x5 foot. so nice to read...

My old 914 had the L-tronic...I will be sorting thru this one soon enough. No oil light, no tach, no driver power window...lots of electrical gremlins...

·
Administrator
17,012 Posts
The fuse box in the 1984 model (if the same as ours) uses the old style 'bullet' fuses. The fuses with an aluminum strip are especially troublesome. They can appear intact yet fail to allow electrons to flow. I prefer the fuses with a brass strip. Remove all of them, clean the fuse contacts, squeeze then together if needed for a snug fit and put in new (brass strip) fuses. That might not cure all the issues but it will eliminate one weak point.

fuse box 84 Spider.JPG

·
Registered
335 Posts
Can't hurt to replace all the filters, particularly the 2 fuel filters. And maybe peek in the tank to see how much crud is in there.

As for the name, I was gonna get 'GOKOMNDO' for my license plate, but my wife objected. . . .

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ghnl...I have the same fuse box picture. Interesting I note all the fuses are 8 amp like my 78 spider...except the power windows is 16 amp...

For some reason the PO had his own list of fuses. he was using 25 amps for #1/windows and a couple 10 amp fuses for #6/wipers and #7/lights.

BTW I like the glass torpedo style fuses. I hate the plastic ones with the exposed metal strip...they break easily when installing.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what is this thing? Has a cable from the bottom that appears to go to the transmission. It seems to parallel the speedo cable. It looks like there should be another cable coming out the top fitting. mounted by the air box on driver side.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,012 Posts
That is the mileage minder for the EXH (O2 sensor/catalytic converter) dash light. It was supposed to switch on the light every 30,000 miles to remind you to take the car to your local Alfa dealer to inspect the O2 sensor/catalytic converter. They would then reset the device for the next 30,000 miles. The original speedometer cable was two piece - transmission to mileage minder and mileage minder to speedometer. see: Chocolate Mess Under Hood

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So most likely if I look under the car I will find that cable just hanging and disconnected since there appears to be a "one piece" speedo cable being used?

I can probably just remove the devise and be done with it? Clean up the engine bay and wiring? Not really concerned about a reminder for the O2 sensor...I'll probably be doing away with the cat anyway...lol

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
The boxes were prone to locking up and breaking the lower cable.

Most were replaced with a speedo cable for the 71 to 79 year cable. Which is one piece.

If this was done to your car. The cable will come out of the corner by the brake booster and run down in front of the steering box. From there under the car to the trans.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I replaced with the one piece cable, removed the counter, cut the steel bracket off with an angle grinder, and touched up with paint.

Weight reduction!

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there is already a one piece cable installed. I guess they never removed the lower 2-piece cable and mileage timer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts