Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently purchased a 1984 GTV6 that has been sitting for ~5 years and has a few issues. I plan to go thru the car myself before taking it to an expert (TBD) for the fine tuning. I’m in the (SW) Los Angeles area and would appreciate a jump start from the insiders on good books, repair manuals, vendor web sites and local resources.

Thank you,
Sobol

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Hi there, welcome. Lots of great resources here, enjoy spending lots of time reading. Do you have pictures? We like pictures. I would strongly suggest replacing the timing belt before you do anything, probably front crank seal too while there. I would recommend Cardisc as really the manual etc type thing to buy. Being in LA I'm sure there are vendors you can just drive up to. Alfa Parts Exchange for example. If you are mail ordering parts, a lot of people use Centerline.

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
10,351 Posts
Being in LA I'm sure there are vendors you can just drive up to. Alfa Parts Exchange for example.
Uh, careful - Los Angeles is in southern California, while APE is in Acampo, 355 miles to the north. Sort of a long drive.

We used to have Alfa Ricambi and Shankle in the Valley, but they're long gone. Alfa Parts in Berkeley (374 miles from Los Angeles) is the only Alfa parts distributor in the state that I'm aware of who isn't exclusively mail order.

sobol said:
would appreciate a jump start from the insiders on ..... local resources.
How about joining the Alfa Romeo Owners of Southern California (arosc.org)? That way, you can pick the brains of local GTV6 owners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there, welcome. Lots of great resources here, enjoy spending lots of time reading. Do you have pictures? We like pictures. I would strongly suggest replacing the timing belt before you do anything, probably front crank seal too while there. I would recommend Cardisc as really the manual etc type thing to buy. Being in LA I'm sure there are vendors you can just drive up to. Alfa Parts Exchange for example. If you are mail ordering parts, a lot of people use Centerline.

Cheers,
Thank you
Uh, careful - Los Angeles is in southern California, while APE is in Acampo, 355 miles to the north. Sort of a long drive.

We used to have Alfa Ricambi and Shankle in the Valley, but they're long gone. Alfa Parts in Berkeley (374 miles from Los Angeles) is the only Alfa parts distributor in the state that I'm aware of who isn't exclusively mail order.

How about joining the Alfa Romeo Owners of Southern California (arosc.org)? That way, you can pick the brains of local GTV6 owners.
Yes, I'm reviewing the Alfa club site now. Thank you

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome. If this is your first experience with a vintage Alfa, it will be challenging. A few years ago I bought an 84, sight unseen and very similar to yours. Practically had to rebuild the whole car bit by bit from the ground up. I've got over $20K and uncounted hours of my labor in it. Still needs paint, but from 10 feet away looks great. Most satisfyingly though, it runs and feels like new and has proven reliable and trouble free for over 4 months now. If you are mechanically inclined, there's nothing excessively difficult about these cars, but certain things need to be done the proper way without cutting corners. Being detailed helps, and take your time. Car disks has a good assemblage to manuals and well worth the modest investment, you will need them. Parts are available from various sources, but when it comes to things that are available only as used parts, I've found that unless they are entirely missing from your car, you'd do better by simply fixing what you have. There's lot of that information available here. Best of luck, keep calm and carry on, as they say. God knows there have been a couple of times when setting fire to it seemed like a reasonable solution (just a joke.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, Thanks for the responses.
I started my night going thru the car. Taking an inventory. Oddly I purchased this car off a Facebook ad as a parts car. I’ve never even been in one, but I always appreciated the rare pleasure of seeing a GTV6 anywhere. As the night progressed, I moved from inventory to flushing sludge out of all the hydraulic system. The reservoir tank was full of sediment and took a while soaking in simple green to clean out but cleaned up perfectly. It took a few hours and two bottles of brake fluid, but I now have fresh clean hydraulic fluid, at what I was going to say was, all four corners and the clutch. Yet when I took the rear wheel off, I had forgotten the brakes are inward. Everything cleaned up beautifully and the Brembo brakes look amazing (I couldn’t tell if it had them at the salvage yard). Inventory collected a brand-new set of Bilstein Shocks for the rear to complement the brand-new pair up front, newish condition Recaro leather seats and a working hydraulic system. If all goes well, I may have it started tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You've started well by coming here, the AlfaBB is one of, if not the best resource available for classic Alfas on the planet. People here are friendly, helpful, extremely knowledgeable, and plain just want to help you enjoy the car. The more you ask and the more you give the more you get out of it.

And I second Jay about joining AROCSC. I've been in SoCal for around 5 years and as an old Alfisti they continue to make me welcome and feel part of the club even though I (still) don't have an Alfa in the US.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking for an Alfa Romeo gtv 6 gas tank cap....anybody knows where i can get one??? Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts