Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bought my first Alfa. I got it from Washington State and now it is here in El Paso, TX. The car drove onto the trailer and now it only cranks and not turn over. I am figuring it is an air issue because my corvair ran rough when it got here. A buddy of mine is mailing me his manuals on Alfas, but I was wondering if there is any easy fix on these cars for the higher altitude. I am just trying to be productive before the manual gets here. I have already replaced the spark plugs and ensured the battery is at 12.5V.

·
Premium Member
21,699 Posts
And it ran in Washington? I wouldn't call El Paso especially high altitude, but even so, the Spica setup has a barometric compensator.

I would first check the basics, got spark at the right time, got fuel at the pump, got compression? If it ran before it left I wouldn't make any Spica adjustments til you eliminate other possibilities.

So the starter does turn the engine but the engine doesn't run?

Andrew

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Chris12,
Glad you received your new (to you) Alfa spider. I am sure you will get to the bottom of the not running issue quickly. Do as Andrew suggests, start with the basics and work your way logically forward. Keep written notes for the time being.

Now to my real question. Please discuss your avatar (aviation photo) Looks military. Most of us want to know the man behind the Alfa, as well as the Alfa.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am currently running through the basics hoping it is an easy fix. Glad to hear I wont have to crack into the spica.

As for my pic, Im a pilot here at Ft Bliss and thats me flying a UH-60 to NTC.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thank you for your service. I am unfamiliar with the designator UH-60 other than it is a helo. So I suppose that makes you a Chief Warrant Officer? If so, hello from one CWO to another. I am (was) CWO in the CG, Engineering rating. Warrant is the greatest rank in the military and I hope you enjoy your service as much as I did.

Robert Hill, CWO (ret), USCG

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
totally wicked!!

I started my career in avionics maintenance on the F-4J Phantom II druing the Vietnem War. Later went CG and did 23 years. Ended as CWO2 ENG. Have a great career, and enjoy your Alfa Spider.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I love the Black Hawk. In the early 80's I was in the Marshall Islands flying to work in a Huey. The army come in for a mission with a pair of Black Hawks. When the mission was over they offered some us civilians a ride. It is one I will never forget.

·
Registered
780 Posts
But back to the Alfa. I have a 79 with Spica. It drove on the trailer and you have changed the plugs. Full charge on the battery I assume. Check for spark at the plugs. As for manuals. There is a member called Roadtrip. He has manuals and other spica tuning information. He was a great help bringing mine back to life.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Hello and Welcome
Just a hunch, but worth investigating. On Spica equipped cars, there is a fuel cut-off switch located under the dash, intended to shut off the fuel pump in the event of an accident. It is a grey cylindrical device the size of a pill bottle, with a grey pushbutton sticking out the top. The fact this car was trailered was what twigged with me. I wondered if you bounced a bit and triggered this switch. If so, you can crank all day and the car will never start ! It is reset simply by pushing in the pushbutton on the device.
Worth a look...at least it is one more thing to scratch off your list.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Start with the basics. Spark at the right time and some kind of fuel. If you're car is equipped with a inertia switch it is possible that is got jolted to the tripped-off position and needs a simple push of the reset button to restore current to the fuel pump. When you turn the key switch on, do you hear the main supply pump in the right rear wheel well area come on with a "hummmm?"

When you first turn the key switch to the ON position, does the fuel low pressure warning light (unlabeled red light on upper left of the center dash) come on momentarily, then go out? If not, and the warning light is actually working, you have insufficient fuel pressure. Need to investigate that. Go to the front fuel filter on the right inside engine compartment fender well. On the front filter canister there is a switch with a single wire to it. With the key ON, remove that wire from the spade terminal and ground it. The warning light should come on. If it doesn't, the switch isn't working and you may or may not have sufficient pressure (7 psi).

If the light is working, remove the air filter and spray some starting fluid ether in the intakes. Try a start. If it doesn't fire, your problem is almost certainly ignition.

If you would like a bunch of Spica tech material, PM me an email address capable of receiving some large files (gmail works fine) and I'll send you electronic copies. But first, go here and download the Spica guides. They'll get you started with the trouble shooting:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/carburetors-fuel-injection-air-intake/335530-spica-technical-guides.html

Like Andrew said, the Spica system compensates for altitude and leans the mixture appropriately, so that is not a concern like having to re-jet carbs for high altitude. It does this via a Barometric Compensator. It's located beneath the triangular plate on the top of the logic section of the Spica injection pump.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I searched the car for the inertia switch but I could not find it. Looking through the owners manual (Thanks Roadtrip), it is supposed to be on the firewall behind the spica if I am reading it right. There is a clamp but nothing there. I tried looking behind the dash but I couldnt find it there. If anyone can send me a pic of of the switch attached where it is, it will help.

As for the humming of the fuel pump, I did not hear anything. (most likely because of the above). One thing I am noticing is that nothing is turning on I switch to MAR. Shouldn't lights and other things come on? Is there any way to test the ignition switch? I would rather not buy a whole new one.

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
The inertia switch is next to the washer tank and it has pink wires going to it.

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
Look for the pink wires. If they are connected together then the inertia switch has been bypassed. This is not uncommon as they can be problematic.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Great thread, please keep it going until you solve the problem. Most of us have to deal with prev. owner's maintenance issues on our cars and fix them; your issue is more irritating than most for sure, but you will figure it out.

You will love this ride. I got my first spider last spring, and put off important maintenance for months because I couldn't bring myself to take it off the road for more than a few days at a time. Now I'm paying for it :|

Pilots need a sports car. It's in the UCMJ if you look hard enough.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, after some serious looking around, I am still scratching my head on where this kill switch is. Other than where it should be, where else is a common spot people put it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts