Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my new purchase of 1986 Spider Veloce delivered about 10 days ago and for a car that hasn’t seen plates registration since 1998 it’s a little better than expected. The car was abandoned and sat in a garage until the owner of the garage had it towed and was subsequently parked at an inside impound/storage garage. I had seen the car a couple of years ago but never gave it much thought. An offer to sell the car was made to me and I decided to buy. I’ve had the VIN checked and applied for new title in Indiana. Moving forward with the restore/??, my goal is to see if it runs. The body is decent but has the typical rust spots and a few that aren’t typical (a rut line of bubbles on the top of the drivers side front fender, seems an odd spot). As the car was a tow in there were no keys, I checked into a couple of lock services and decided it would be about the same cost + - to buy new ignition switch with keys. Started that project yesterday, from reading the BB about ignition switch changes and what is actual in my car it appears I’m going to have to research a bit more. Going to take some picts to post this afternoon.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ahh, another unsuspecting guy lured in by those Italian curves. Looking forward to learning what you find as you dig deeper into what will become an all-consuming hobby.

·
Administrator
16,986 Posts
Welcome to asylum! Check out the Spider Technical FAQ for a compendium of useful posts about our cars. And click on the link in my signature for a page of info about the L-jetronic system in our cars.

Now then, about photos - we like photos. Thus we insist you post some. Before, during, after - we like them all.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, another unsuspecting guy lured in by those Italian curves. Looking forward to learning what you find as you dig deeper into what will become an all-consuming hobby.
Yeppers, I’m done for. When I finally got it rolled into the garage and did some basic vacuuming(I believe the car was used for a home by someone at some time,geez) and got behind the wheel it felt better than when I had my Corvette, different with the Spider and really cant say why but all the same it was a happy day!!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to asylum! Check out the Spider Technical FAQ for a compendium of useful posts about our cars. And click on the link in my signature for a page of info about the L-jetronic system in our cars.

Now then, about photos - we like photos. Thus we insist you post some. Before, during, after - we like them all.
Thanks!! Appreciate the help, I have been reading a ton of stuff on the BB in the different forums. It is great to have so much expertise at the ready, Internet connection don’t fail me now. I took some picts today and am going to attempt an up load. Used my iPad and am not sure yet what the file sizes are. Going to investigate now. Will post them as soon as I get it figured out.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s a couple of picts that sheds some light on the project. My strategy (for now) is to concentrate on the items to get it running. The list grows every time I go out to work on it. It’s ok though and as soon as warm weather get here so I can have the garage door open it will even be better. Come on Spring!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another note on the Spider project, The Spider had been in a undergorund parking/storage garage for a few years. There were no keys with tthe he car and of course the steering column is locked up, uggghh. Oh well, I moved on with replacing the ignition switch and it was ordered and arrived yesterday. So I started working yesterday in replacement. What a challenge! So got to the point in realiozing that it wasn’t going to be a 1 or 2 hr job. Quit at 6 last night when my wife come out and said it was dinner time. Time flies when you’re having fun. So today got my rolling tool cabinet out of the tractor garage and moved over closer to the car. Dug out the gear puller and removed the steering wheel. The multi switch has some issues and figured it needs to come off as well. Got close but decided it was time to drink a beer and call it a day. Tomorrow is a new day!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
If it has been 22years since it has run, you will need to go through the entire fuel delivery system. probably replace both pumps, all rubber lines and have the tank flushed out by a radiator shop. ;Possibly pull the injectors and have them cleaned by Cruzin Performance. I would pour some Marvel Mystery oil down the plug holes to lube up the cylinders and loosen the rings.
I have done 3 of these in the last 2 years that sat up like this.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it has been 22years since it has run, you will need to go through the entire fuel delivery system. probably replace both pumps, all rubber lines and have the tank flushed out by a radiator shop. ;Possibly pull the injectors and have them cleaned by Cruzin Performance. I would pour some Marvel Mystery oil down the plug holes to lube up the cylinders and loosen the rings.
I have done 3 of these in the last 2 years that sat up like this.
Good luck.
Gonna need plenty of luck!! The fuel system is for sure one of many of my concerns. I have started ordering some parts and am in the middle of replacing the locked ignition switch. As soon as I complete the ignition switch replacement(possibly the turn signal unit as well, looks suspect) The fuel system is next with tank cleaning and related parts to insure good/clean fuel delivery. Also while reading the BB posts on injectors and good recommendations for Cruzin Performance I will be sending the injectors out to be cleaned( here's hoping Cruzin Performance can work some magic!). Amid all the stuff going on now with virus precautions I think I will see if I can get some Marvel Mystery oil while I'm out today to pick up a prescription. Work was halted for a couple of days to do spring chores around the house and go to appts. away from the garage. Thanks for the input and guidance, experienced advice is always a good thing!!! I will post regular updates as I get back to the project.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Happy Easter everyone! Such as it is, we normally have the kids and friends over for Easter dinner. Oh well in lieu of I worked on the Spider today. First chance this week after the spring home chores plus a yard project we have put off for a couple of years. Over the past 2 and 1/2 weeks I have ordered and received numerous parts to get the Spider to the "will it run stage". I shipped the fuel injectors to Cruzin Performance last week. I have received the new gas tank, sending unit , both fuel pumps, and new fuel lines. The turn signal switch came in this last week as well. Now that I have received most of the parts that will allow me to hear it run or not I can now move on to prep and discovery. Today I started cleaning the trunk area , clean enough now to start new fuel tank install. Also found that 1/2 of the spare tire wheel well is rusted thru, plus both right and left rear corners of the body are suffering same amount of rust. Rust correction comes later if no major drive train issues are uncovered. Also I just noticed on the inside of the hood imprints of the radiator cap and back edge of the radiator. I have attached pictures that show them, most odd as it appears the hood rests on the radiator cap and the back edge of the radiator. Any comments on this would be appreciated. Also found the alternator bracket is missing a nut but what concerns me is it appears the alternator pulley doesn't line up straight with the main pulley. I haven't looked at the bottom of the alternator yet to see if it is causing the misalignment. That's about it for today. And now the disclaimer, I am a definite rookie with the Alfa Spider and am finding out something new every time I work on it. The AlfaBB has been a new world of education for me and I appreciate the tips and suggestions. Hopefully my journey with my Spider will also offer some piece of instruction/info that will be useful to those searching the BB. Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
the alternator:
that looks way crooked from here!
I think you will find the main mounting bolt underneath is falling out, has fallen out, or at least is very loose!
alternator mounting.jpg

the tank:
you should put a strip of 'closed cell' foam along the flange where the tank is bolted down on....or 3M strip caulk works well too.

the radiator cap:
as you realised, it definitely should not be touching the hood!
Can't think why it is, unless someone put the rad back incorrect. The rad sits on a rubber U on the cross member.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the alternator:
that looks way crooked from here!
I think you will find the main mounting bolt underneath is falling out, has fallen out, or at least is very loose!
View attachment 1621779

the tank:
you should put a strip of 'closed cell' foam along the flange where the tank is bolted down on....or 3M strip caulk works well too.

the radiator cap:
as you realised, it definitely should not be touching the hood!
Can't think why it is, unless someone put the rad back incorrect. The rad sits on a rubber U on the cross member.
Thanks Dom, always appreciate the extra eyes and comments. Haven't inspected fully the radiator or the alternator. The radiator is going to come out after I verify the engine runs and doesn't require major expense, it makes me wonder if it was removed and reinstalled incorrectly which makes the alternator suspect as well. I have a gasket for the fuel tank so am good there. Hope to get it set in this week.

Joe

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think now you're seeing the reasons it sat for so many years! From what you've posted so far, it seems like the mechanical issues are fixable with some new parts and elbow grease. What really concerns me is the rust on top of the fender. Hope it's not too bad. Good luck with your new baby!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think now you're seeing the reasons it sat for so many years! From what you've posted so far, it seems like the mechanical issues are fixable with some new parts and elbow grease. What really concerns me is the rust on top of the fender. Hope it's not too bad. Good luck with your new baby!
Thanks Skip, the elbow grease is for sure a big part now. I had my sander out last week and decided to knock what I thought was a rust bubble down. I'm not sure why the PO did this but the rust bubble was actually body filler piled up on a line of holes(will assume rust). What puzzles me is the paint on the fender looks to match the rest of the car??? When I look closely at the fender it might have had some damage and been repaired as well. The body part comes later after I get all the mechanicals in order. The rust is there but so far I haven't seen anything that has really made me question moving forward. I think some one once said it's a fine line between fear and stupidity.<grin>

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got the ignition switch changed and completed a acouple of weeks ago. What a chore that turned out to be. First issue was removal, with tips from fellow BB folks was able to get it out and modified the security screw to accommodate a stubby straight screwdriver. Next was installation of new ign switch, wouldnt slide into the tube but about 2 inches stuck out about halfway, finally got my digital caliper out since eyeballing the new and the old they appeared the same. The new was .50 of a mm larger, geez really. So got some cylinder hones (WW Grainger) and after a little work the switch now slides in and out correctly. Next issue was security screw would start, at this point I'm suffering from brain fade because this is something I know I'm doing wrong. So I pull the new one out insert the old one and screw drops right in and can tighten down no problems. After several tries with a die grinder applied to the base of the switch it slid in and screw dropped into place. On to replacing multi switch for lights, turn signals, and wipers. Fairly straigtforward, noticed a difference in a couple of the wires that appeared to be different gauge wire. All appears to be well, used the VOM and tested for correct continuity and started covering things bac up and reinstall steering wheel. Took some off and on with the panels that cover the fuse box and underneath dash, learned that the best way to disassemble/assemble is to remove all the on the parts to be removed. After some fussing and cussing the panels look right and line up well. Rewarded myself with new Alfa Romeo keychains for the new keys and a set of Alfa Rome valve stem covers. On to the fuel tank/fuel pumps/fuel sender/ fuel filter, etc replacement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts