Alfa Romeo Forums banner
141 - 160 of 421 Posts

·
Administrator
4,431 Posts
Fuel filter screen

Hi Paul

That's a beautiful job you and Darron are doing, well done.

The screen can be made out of fine brass mesh, soldered together into the correct shape, soldering it to a framework made of brazing rods sometimes proves easier. Any place that deals with pre-30's cars should be able to point you in the direction of fine brass mesh, it was used as a screen filter between the oil pan and the crank to catch the bigger bits of crud and white metal - the bits with visible part numbers anyway :rolleyes:

Lead sheeting for roofing provides the sealing washer which you will have to cut out.

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Your sender looks like it's for a 105 or later car.There was talk of a Jaguar XK 120/140 sender working in the Giulietta fuel tank.I've never used one,but certainly looks alike.NOS locators has them on ebay,or call them at 401 725 5000 for correct information.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I'm going to give Tony a call at AlfaStop (where I sourced the sender) and see what he has to say. Perhaps he picked one from the wrong bin or had mixed stock.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Progress

More progress every day, this is the fun part. Freshly powder coated steering column is in, as is the pedal box and the engine bay is just about done. Except for one major missing item. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
I would expect a 105 tank sender to hit the bottom of the tank; the 105 tanks are deeper, and the float arm goes down a few inches, then makes a 90* turn. The original, and mine from Norman, has the float arm stick out almost horizontal, no right angle turn.
Andrew

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dear Paul,

I'm a fan! Beautiful work!
But- I'd rethink the turnsignal spring wrap direction: clockwise, not anti-clockwise. And beware the "hot" brass and the springends earth are near one another!
I look forward to seeing this spider done.

Laurence

·
Registered
30 Posts
no it's not a problem 79mm because you cut it as you want and you can make after a good welding with tin
it's make like that and original on vespas, i 'll do probably like this for my spider 56

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Hi,McMaster/Carr has "strainer grade wire cloth" in brass and stainless for around $10.50 sq.ft..It is available in mesh sizes fine enough to filter out flour or talcum powder.With your skills,you should be able to whip out one of these filters in no time.Truly impressive work.Hope this helps,Phil

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Oil Filter

Another series of pictures on parts refurb. The oil filter assembly is now done, including a great new decal from Bill Gillham. (I bought an entire set of decals for all the bits on the car.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Wheels

And the wheels are done. Not painted, but powder coated. I know there are pros and cons. Paint can be touched up which would be a plus for paint. But I decided to go powder coated.

New tires will be delivered on Monday. I went with Michelin XZX 165SR15 + tubes on Daron's recommendation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Heater Fan Rheostat

There was this recent thread on repairing the heater fan rheostat switch. I have the same switch and although it seems to be working right now, it too needs some work. We will try to clean it up as best as we can and make it work. But, does anyone know of a source for replacements? I've checked all the usual sources and nobody lists this switch/rheostat in their catalogs. Is this thing not available anymore (except perhaps a lucky NOS find)??

Attachments

141 - 160 of 421 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.