Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have had many a discussion about the best size tyres for these classic Alfa. And lots of you are keen on fitting wider tyres.

Untill now there has not been a perfect period tyre in the size 185/70HR14 until now. Pirelli have just produced again the 185/70VR14 Pirelli Cinturato CN36

As well as handling well, because it has a carcass designed for cars like the Alfa, It also looks super cool

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's good news indeed to see we have an additional choice. Is this tubeless or a tube tire?

Please educate me a little. What is it about the carcass design that makes it particularly suited for cars like the Alfa? Is the sidewall more flexible, stiffer, the profile more rounded?

Thanks for posting the news.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are tubeless tyres. But because they are 70% profile you can fit a tube inn them if you want. say for instance if they are on wire wheels. You should always fit a tube on a wire wheel. you cant put tubes in tyres that are less than 70% profile.

the tyres are V rated. it has a relevant load rating suited to the cars, and the rounded profile of a period tyre is part of keeping the handling progressive.

Here's a chap that liked them (though i think this is on on 155HR15 PIRELLI CINTURATO )

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for posting the video! It's always great to see shots of Il Maestro although I suspect that was set in 1966, not 1956.

It's always fun to think that if I used the same tires, ate the same breakfast cereal, etc as Juan M. then perhaps I could drive more like him. The sad fact is that you could put me on Pirelli's latest F1 super-softs and install roller skate wheels on his car and I still wouldn't have kept up with him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks a lot Dougal for the information regarding those new tyres it was a nightmare to find a good compromise quality/look/price in that size.
I just ordered a set of 4 and will put them on my 69 GT 1300 Junior on 7 GTA replica...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Questions for dougal and SanCesario,
Do you have any suspensions mods done to your gt1300?
And for SanCesario, which rims? 7 inch?
I've bee thinking of putting the GTA rims on in the 15' size, but.....
Thanks to you both, in advance!
?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
As an aside to my above question, the tires on my car currently are 165sr-14. A 185-70 seems tall, but probably better looking. The one thing I've always loved about the 60's and 70's GT cars has always been the side profile, and how they filled the wheel wells so nice. A low profile tire would never look good, to me, on a those cars.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As an aside to my above question, the tires on my car currently are 165sr-14. A 185-70 seems tall, but probably better looking. The one thing I've always loved about the 60's and 70's GT cars has always been the side profile, and how they filled the wheel wells so nice. A low profile tire would never look good, to me, on a those cars.
A 185/70R14 is almost exactly the same diameter as a 165R14 Cinturato CA67 When you look at the more modern Alfetta, they offered either 165R14 or 185/70R14. So yes they will fill the wheel arches nicely.

If you go for 15" wheels you will have to buy a lower profile tyre so they won't look as good. b ut they will also give a less comfortable ride, which is something you might be happy to accept, but it also means it absorbs less vibration which is of course not so good for the car

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Yachtman,

My GT 1300 is fitted with Eibach springs to lower the car approximately 3 cms and Yellow Koni front and rear.
The rims are from Alfa Service 7x14, I don't remember the ET but I can check later today.

Like you I appreciate the look of a good 14 tyres on an early 1300GT that's why I decided to go for those rims, and I hope that the Cinturato in 185 on 7" rims gonna give a ballon effect.

My car is at the bodyshop now and should come back before the end of the month then I'll put back engine/gearbox/steering box reconditioned/new dashboard/new rims and tyres and share some pictures of the look with those Cinturato...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi

Sorry if yo want the baloon look like they had in the day then thin rims are the way to go. there are 2 reference points the width of the tread and the width of the rim. the 185/70VR14 Cinturato CN36 does have a nice rounded tread which is part of what makes it handle so well, and on normal rim widths would give you a nice rounded side wall but 7" rim is really wide. I would suggest that a 7"rim was only really suited to a car that is modified to suit them and really for track use.

to fit a 185/70VR14 tyre you really want a 5" - 6.5" rim for optimum performance and to protect your wheels from the curb. However you can fit these tyres onto a 7" rim it willl be just a little stretched. which is kind of going against the baloon effect i think you are looking for.

I would however say that the 185/70VR14 Cinturato will have aa more rounded side wall than any other tyre in the size.

thiis is the same tyre (but in 15") fitted to a 6" wide rim on a TR6 (Er we painted the yellow Pirelli on the side wall to make it look snazzy and stand out more)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Dougal,

You are right I made a mistake thinking I gonna have ballon effect with a stretched tyre.
I went for 7" rims after seeing on internet a lovely italian Alfa Gta alike car that I liked fitted with 7x14 rims but with an older look tyres and I searched a few month the tyres I gonna use until this Cinturato came...

I had a great surprise today after receiving from Longstones those superb Cinturato and once installed on the 7" rim in my opinion even stretched a little it keeps the ballon effect maybe thanks to the rounded tread as you suggest.

I attached a few pictures of those CN36 tyres on the rims for people that may be interested in that kind of configuration, wheels are not yet on the car...still have to reinstall the engine/gearbox/dashboard before to enjoy the new look ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
SanCesario,
'''''Perfect'''''. Thanks for the pictures. That's the look I'm talking about. I'm probably going to stay with the thinner rim, but I'm going off the advice from where I'll be buying springs and things. The tire tread looks so GT.
Thanks again for the pictures. Make sure you post pictures of your car, on this thread, when you get it ready.
?

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
I spent a few minutes shopping for these on the web. Couldn't find CN36's at the big discounters (Tire Rack and the like). Lucas Classic Tires has them for $169 each, thought I'm not sure if that includes Federal and State taxes.

185/70VR14 Pirelli Cinturato CN36

Longstone UK, cited by dougal in post #1, has them for £99.00 which works out to $144.50. Guess it costs another $25 per tire to ship them across the Atlantic!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I didn't expect it too look so good on a 7" rim. I expected it to have an extreme stretch look like the kids are doing with the Japanese cars these days. Very nice. Now the 165 on a 7" rim might be a stretch (I meant to say that).

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phwar!!! they look fantastic.

I would love to see some pictures of them fitted to the car when you get there.

I think the CN36 is a really sexy tread pattern. only the Italians can manage to make a tyre sexy. In the same way that only the Italians can even make a boring frase like 4 door sound sexy.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
SanCesario,
The rims look great against the color. Very nice car. What suspension are you going to be using? Do you think you'll have any chance of rub?
Thanks,
?

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
I can't imagine those tires would rub on what looks like a high arch GT, low arch likely would. I think the rims are 14x7x23mm offset. For example I had 15x7x23mm with 205/60s and got a slight rub on rear, under full suspension compression.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Yachtman, no i think there is enough space for not having rub trouble.
brad fischer is right it is 14x7 with 23ET and with high arch should be ok

I already fitted Eibach suspensions springs (-40 mm) and four yellow Koni shock absorber.
I just have to put the engine/ trans in and the weight + a little drive should give me the right height.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts