Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thank you for the referral. Just looking through the first couple of pages, it looks like these could cost $150 or more. I don't think I will get any takers at that price.

Something that is itched would need to be done in a country where labor rates are considerably less than in the US.
It's actually closer to $300 for an exact, correctly etched plate. Or about $200 to "restore as close to original" from your own-supplied original plate per Jerry's quote. If one has $50K plus in a restoration, it's all relative, and a very visible part when it's installed. You can really feel the difference on its surface to the touch. The letters are raised, the numbers submersed below the silver surface. I was just suggesting an alternative, it certainly wouldn't be a moneymaker on the other end.

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's actually closer to $300 for an exact, correctly etched plate. Or about $200 to "restore as close to original" from your own-supplied original plate per Jerry's quote. If one has $50K plus in a restoration, it's all relative, and a very visible part when it's installed. You can really feel the difference on its surface to the touch. The letters are raised, the numbers submersed below the silver surface. I was just suggesting an alternative, it certainly wouldn't be a moneymaker on the other end.
There's nothing wrong with the suggestion. It's actually very much appreciated.

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
There is now a new fourth option. This one has a much better look to it, and close to the original. It is made with a thicker stock. It's a full 1mm thick. You can see the difference between the other "thin" stock.

I am thinking of taking another run and seeing if the owner can source something similar to the 1mm, but thinner.

As I said, I am on the fence. The two I am leaning towards are the thick one and the matte finish. I will see how these look on my car in the coming week and post pictures.

Thank you for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I think the thick one is too thick and will not look original — stands off too far from firewall. The matte one looks dead on to me compared to the one in my car, and the Ricambi one I posted earlier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Agree.... finish on the thick one looks best to me but the thicker material is a none starter. Leaves the matte as the first choice.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
The thick one is too thick. The matte one is good. Note that if you get a pic as it is on the firewall, that could change my thoughts. Thanks for all of the work you are doing!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts