Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I live in Brisbane Australia and decided my next restoration should be a 105 GT. Been an Alfa fan all my life and having owned an 1984 Giulietta and a brand new Alfasud Sprint while at university. (in 1984 a GT junior was the last car I wanted lol).

In August 2021 I bought the only 105 available in Australia for under 20K, a 1973 GT Junior. Because of Covid I could not inspect the car although it did appear to have a fair share of external rust.

Automotive parking light Sky Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

On closer inspection and talking to the owner I realised the car has been outside in the elements for the past 15 years.
Being almost 50 years old, like most others it has been repaired/semi restored multiple times.

Kitchen utensil Garden tool Gas Soil Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Plant Track

So I quickly realized there are many, many hours of body work required to get this car in any condition to be painted again. New floors/ sills/ nose section/ left rear wing/ right front wing/ door skins/ rear window surround/ C pillar, boot lid (completely rusted away) and various patch repairs.

Wood Roof Ceiling Metal Composite material
Brown Wood Natural material Beam Plank Wood Automotive tire Gas Trunk Brick

For three weeks I walked around thinking of selling the car as is, regretting my decision... Then I discovered alfabb and quickly realised that there are many 105 projects starting from a much worse base and patiently restoring Giulia's to there former glory. (Take "Raising Junior for instance)

Then I stopped sulking and took the grinders and Mig out of storage. In addition, I have never seen a model with such an abundance of repair panels readily availabe (previous restore was a 240z)

To be continued..

·
Administrator
15,424 Posts
Good luck. Please be aware door fit is a bug issue for these cars and if your door frames are not rusty that is fantastic and a huge time saver, but installing the sill/rocker panels requires trial assembly of doors and door seals

Pete

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
enjoy the journey.
plenty of worse 105's out there. the floors and the sills available for these are excellent.. try to repair and save the external panels wherever possible as the repro stuff doesn't fit that well. looks like an ACT car, that may have saved it from complete disaster, outside on the coast and it would be gone.
If i'm looking at that sill shot correctly it is from underneath. often that inner sill just doesn't exist. lots of support here on the BB and in oz

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Quite the project, but yes, much worse has been revived on the BB. Try to label and catalogue everything as you remove it. I’m in NW Brisbane so if you need to see a bare shell for reference at any point, drop me a line as my 67 GT Veloce is mostly accessible under the boxes… can also point you towards various guys that might have second hand parts you need. My go to new parts guys are Classic Alfa and Alfaholics. Classic Alfa have crazy fast shipping. 2-3 days to Brisvegas!
Looking forward to more pics of what you might think are the trouble areas. Got a vision for how you want to finish it? Stock/fast road/race?

·
Registered
GT 1600 Junior 1972
583 Posts
hi, your car looks about par for the coarse.
even better looking cars can have same problems...just better hidden.
good luck

i was in same boat..my car was one of the worst i have seen on here...but she is getting there slowly.
i have taken 2021 off the resto thus far, for various reasons but will restart in winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys

Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

I have had some time off from work (5 weeks) so have done quite a bit already. For most part, as I followed the best practice/process from this forum, I will show photos of what I completed, not repeat the process. However I will mention the lessons I learned sofar.

Floors

Replaced with with pans from the usual UK suppliers. Butt welded to the cross member with the seat mounts which were in good shape. Plug welded to to inner sill, tunnel and firewall, gearbox mounts and rails.
I give the panels a 7/10 for 2 reasons, I had to push and temp screw the pans down hard to sit tight on the rails, in addition the first curve where the center tunnel widens did not quite line up and needed work.

Biggest lesson learnt, just when I thought my Mig welding skills was fine, I had to weld upside down and in uncomfortable positions, a whole different ball game.

Wood Gas Space Composite material Metal

Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle Composite material Gas
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design

Motor vehicle Vehicle Machine Military vehicle Luxury vehicle

Both Outer Sills

I followed the process in the Greasy Fingers Video and I give the sills a 9/10 for fit. Quite enjoyed cleaning and painting the middle/inner sills which were in a surprisingly good condition. Only had to patch one area on bottom of B-pillar box.

Painted with Epoxy primer and used Eastwood cavity 360 degree nozzles to paint inside inner sill.

Automotive exterior Vehicle door Auto part Metal Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts