Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good Giulia 1st Series grill and lower heart. Thanks to targa florio for the find! And congrats on YOUR new Giulia!

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And an Extra

Included some fine artwork suitable for framing!

Derek - note black painted triangles. It's either a very thick coat or a vinyl overlay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,699 Posts
Should we talk about hen's teeth on this thread too? Or fish lips?
Congrats, great find. Here's hoping you don't need it on an existing car, just future acquisitions.
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Rare find, Congratulations! Giorgio has purchased a Super..?
He says he has, and takes delivery shortly. I await pics. Still working on his GT as well.

AFA the grill/heart, it was advertised right here on the ABB. Gotta jump fast. Giorgio was great to work with, a real true Alfisti. I hope to make it to Sicily some day. A lot of S1 Supers have had TI grills substituted. It will take a Franjo or equal (if there is such a thing) to return it to full glory. We have a pretty good trim metal worker here in town but I'll just stash it for now. As I recall Randy retrofit a really nice one on his 68.

Should we talk about hen's teeth on this thread too? Or fish lips?
Congrats, great find. Here's hoping you don't need it on an existing car, just future acquisitions.
Andrew
Hope it is NEVER needed on my '65 indeed but I do drive it a lot - >8000 miles in the past 3 years - and Austin traffic can be very bad.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for your judgment Bruce, I appreciate very much. Julia went to pick her up today, is a 1300 TI and I expect a lot of work to do but first I have to finish the Gt.
(I'm seriously in danger of being thrown out of home to my wife, because passion Alfa strong but works too slow !!)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Wow, great find Bruce! If I ever go the black insets I will do the vinyl as that sounds like a good solution.

Nice buy Giogio

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Indeed a nice find and of course a good retro fit to any Giulia.

My brother fitted such a grill to his 1300 Ti, and managed thereafter to obtain a spare grill. As Derek knows, I too was after one for my Super project but couldn't find one that was affordable.

Of course as luck would turn out, I ended up buying my 1300 Ti which came with such a grill and it has the black triangle sections on it. They look painted or enameled to me, rather than a vinyl insert, tho I could be wrong.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
But that is a TI grill with a one-piece stamped heart. Quite available. The Series 1 Super heart is split with the top portion including Alfa badge mounted on the hood. A small but important distinction. Many S1 Supers have been substituted with TI grills and hearts and it's hard to tell from 20' and doesn't really matter for a driver. The lower heart section "V" is not stamped stainless but cast pot metal and chromed and VERY fragile. (I only look at it via mirror.) I have seen some S1 Super grills for sale but few with good restorable hearts. And I have seen some cars represented as concourse S1 Supers with TI hears that undistinguished judges cannot tell apart.

AFA the painted triangles, Derek & I have concluded they have come both ways as factory photos off the assembly line and in brochures show them randomly both ways, at least on Supers. Dealer's choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hey Bruce, I am not sure that what you say is completely correct. My car is a '69 Ti, and so of course never came with the grill type that is on the car. You are correct in noting it is a stainless steel (full grill) rather than of course the split heart (cast) type you refer to, re this post.

However, to the best of my knowledge 1300 Tis only came with the 3 horizontal stainless bar grill. As did some Supers. If on the other hand you were referring to the pre '65 Ti 1600 then perhaps you are correct re the grill in my car being correct for a Ti, albeit as noted my Ti is a later model.

My '69 Biscionne Super has the 5 bar grill, as does my brother in laws, as well as does a friend's 68 Super.

The full stainless grill I have on my Ti, out here in Aus is pretty rare and equally falls into the camp therefore of unobtainium.

The interesting thing is that all the interior trim (door cards, door furniture, and seats are all from a '66-67 Super), stainless steel cill spears, front windscreen stainless piller trims etc and there is a difference between the front and rear bumpers etc. So whoever, put my car together had access to a range of earlier model parts to dress it up like a Super.

I too would agree with your assessment, that the black triangle is present on some examples but absent from others, who knows what happened back in the day at the Alfa factory.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
There is a post done in another thread with the 6 types of "Giulia" grills and pics:

- 1600 TI (62-67) full face grill w/ full heart, dual H/L
- 1600 S1 Super (65-67) - grill like TI but split heart, dual H/L -- this thread
- 1300 TI (66-??69) - full face pressed grill with full heart, single headlights,
- to 3-bar/mesh w/ detachable full heart (in ??69-72), single H/L
- 1600 S2 Super (68-74) & 1300 "unificata" Super (72-74) - 5 bar/mesh, full stamped heart, dual H/L
- 1300/1600 Nuova Super - black plastic mesh grill with fat heart, dual H/L
The one I am not as familiar, which are the few-in-number, is the 1300 Giulia Berlina (64-71) but it is one of two of the above.

·
Registered
289 Posts
certainly not rare as the grill of Bruce but if anyone is interested can contact me (the photo is indicative)

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That is the early 1300 TI, 2 headlamp pressed SS grill. Changed to 3-bar/mesh in ??? 66-68 ??. It looks very vintage.

PS: Funny, I have two friends here with 1300 TI's - one early and one late. They liked each other's grills and just swapped.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
PS: The 1300 TI had the same interior as the Super all the way through after Supers had changed from 69 on.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gorgeous. I wish you were closer Franjo. I should have had Giorgio send it to you to finish right.

I see the 1600 TI grill above has a full and removable heart, unlike the 1300 grill heart which looks like it is pressed with the grill. All the mesh grill hearts are full and removable. Only the S1 1600 Super is a split heart.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
As always fabulous craftsmanship with the work you do Franjo. If I ever have the spare funds, I would be most happy to have you restore my grill and bumpers on my TI.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
You know, it just occurred to me that early grilles ought to be good candidate for 3-D printing. Just sayin' . . .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts