Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drove my semi-rescued 1993 164L to Formula 1 Alfisti Breakfast Bunch Speedvision bash at our local Bloody Mary Pub without incident this morning.

All was well even if Massa did blow the race but afterwards the diehard Alfistis had a mission to part out one Verde and start a Rice Univerisity lookalike Verde race car with second one. Another story for another time.

Anyway I decided to run I-264 home again jiggity jig blowing cold air and hit a rough expansion joint. Blam, no a/c blower motor after hitting bump. Next rough expansion joint back it comes on. On and off until I gave up and opened windows.

I tried to save a dollar with a used dime blower motor sometime back and now I get to pull blower motor out again and change it. At least I was smart enough to put new blower motors in Originale and Quik Silver. I had third one in stock for 93L but sold it to my friend when his 91L BLOWER MOTOR QUIT.

Moral of story is blower motors on these 164s turn all the time and now at 150 to 175k mark brushes are worn out.

So, I just did another Buy It Now on ebay and bought two more new blower motors as my son's S blower motor bearing is squeeling.

Used parts are good sometimes but not for blower motors.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Steve,
I just finished this job on my S. For all the work involved with replacing the blower motor, the new Bosch unit is the only way to go. With 137K my old motor was shot. The shaft has worn a spot in the metal motor case.

What's this about another Rice University Milano? Having spent many an hour on that car, it really looks rough.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Possibility of fuse cracked? :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Most likely blower motor, but it could a bad connection at motor harness. Mine would come on and off after hitting bad bumps in the road. The bump would cause the shaft to lodge itself in the worn spot of the motor housing. A new motor fixed all of that.

While you are in there Steve, do you also replace the heater core and hoses? I had originally planed not to, but when they are just sitting there once the blower housing is removing it was hard not to.

·
Premium Member
27,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sometimes replace heater core but I have never had a heater core fail on any of my cars. It is always the other guys cars whose fail like Myron's LS amd Mr T's it seems. This is blower motor number three for my own cars though.

My friend Jim is coming with his this week to finish up a/c compressor clutch pulley bearing failure so we plan to do blower motor when we change out receiver dryer, etc. Will check heater core real close.

·
Premium Member
27,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saved by the loose wire connector syndrome. Lucked out as it was failed putty in chassis end of connector to blower motor. One of the female pins unlocked and was not locked on tight to male pin from motor. I hate it when that happens.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Saved by the loose wire connector syndrome. Lucked out as it was failed putty in chassis end of connector to blower motor. One of the female pins unlocked and was not locked on tight to male pin from motor. I hate it when that happens.
At least now, you'll have a spare new blower motor to send to me one day. :) I've never seen a faulty one, except two dead controllers (the transistor speed-control box mounted on an aluminium heatsink plate) on a Lancia Thema. I wonder if that part fails on the 164?

About replacing the heater core, my first 164 had that done before I bought it. They did it by taking the dashboard apart! Quite foolish when we know that the blower motor removal exposes it. I sympathise with andrewg "it was hard not to". I think this is probably what separates us from mechanics in the trade!

-Alex

·
Registered
460 Posts
It is the "it was hard not too" that leads to scope and price creep. I figured that if I did it now, I would not have to go back in the future. In the year of 164 ownership, this "it was hard not too" has cost me a lot of time and money, but in the future the car should be much more reliable, or so I hope.

·
Premium Member
27,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree we live and learn sometimes by our mistakes and money saving ideas and then again sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

As I said so far I have changed 4 motors this past year - used three new ones and Rosso got "good" used one with lots of brush life left and quiet bearings so it turned out when I found loose wire pin in connector.

So I get to live and fix Alfas another day.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I have a spare Saab blower motor ready to go just in case.

Oh...... did I mention that I bought it because I'm too stupid to check the fuse for the crappy fuse holder that some moron installed instead of the OE one?
When the fuse older went bad it smelled like burning fan motor so of course before I looked at it I just bought a new one:eek:

Oh......did I mention that the moron was me??:eek:

A VW diesel glow plug timer fuse later and I haven't had to us the new motor yet!

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts