Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
THANK YOU! DOWNLOADED and can now try to make some progress. Also, none of the seat or window switches work on the driver's side when the ambient temp is above 70, I would say. He's checked all the switch connections and them seem clean. I suppose I should look at them too, but, anyone else have exactly this problem? It's kind of a problem when the AC isn't cold and you can't roll down the windows.:confused:

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
I would check grounding points right under dash at grounding point below steering column G174 and the G182 one inside center console near parking brake lever for starters. I'd put money on corrosion/loose grounds at G182.

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Also, those switches will stop working , just because, lol. They can be pulled out and taken apart a little to fix them in most cases. There is a plastic film inside which seals the insides and then deposits form on the contacts, making them lose conductivity. Cut out that film, spray with contact cleaner or WD40, and reinstall the switch, not replacing that plastic film. This problem has vexed many a 164 owner. I've fixed a few in my 164s, and have then lasted for years.

However, Steve may be correct as well. Alfas live on good grounds. Could be a bad/loose ground which loses contact above a certain temperature due to heat expansion.

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
While this is important information, the question is, does she have problems with all of the systems affected by this one ground, or just the few she mentioned, the seats and windows? She should check for power to the switches with a VOM, easy to do by accessing the individual switch connections.

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
While this is important information, the question is, does she have problems with all of the systems affected by this one ground, or just the few she mentioned, the seats and windows? She should check for power to the switches with a VOM, easy to do by accessing the individual switch connections.
G182 ground point seems to have ground wires for seats and windows, door locks and probably rear cigga lighter, radio and heated seat. Now she can see if those last three items are flaky during our heat wave and see what gives with them.

Only window item on G174 under dash ground is window lift maybe auto down function.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts