Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 33 is causing me massive stress (as usual), there is substantial negative camber on the front left wheel ONLY. Im familiar with the usual causes of camber, and Ive run through the checklist: the bushes are pretty old, but are wearing evenly on both sides of the car. I've just finished installing new shocks, and the ride height is about 2 mm lower on the troublesome side (I measured it). I took it the the local suspension guys and they think the stub axle is bent, possibly from a crash at some point. They didnt elaborate, and Im left wondering: Is there a stub axle on the front wheels that could have bent? I didnt think there was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recently had a similar issue after putting in new shocks and springs. Turned out that one of the spring seats wasnt put back in the correct position and the spring wasn't sitting properly, causing the car to sit as you say with only one side having negative camber and the other side looking straight. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
possibly, but I double checked everything before it went back in, and the camber was there with the old shocks as well

·
Registered
257 Posts
stuff

I had the same identical problem with my recent Arna 1.5 Ti restoration :D.......after lots of research I found the Mk1 33 front struts1985/86 are not the same as the Mk2 version's 1988/92, although they will fit both models the lower fixing plate have the mounting holes drilled differently causing the excess negative camber.

With all the aftermarket struts if you can still find any, Boge,Munro,Sachs etc still catalogue them as fitting all 33s,Sprints and Nissan Cherry Europe which is not correct,hence your problem!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that sounds familiar - when I first bought the car I replaced the LH strut with a series 2 strut, I had trouble fitting it but I thought that was cause of the anti roll bar. Does the incorrect strut make the camber permanent? Because the car now has identical struts (the supplier stated it was for a S1 33) and the side still has negative camber.

Alfa Arna? interesting choice! I heard there were only a handful in the UK.

·
Registered
257 Posts
stuff

Yes and yes.........if you cant find a suitable replacement you can always file or machine out the lower mounting holes,the most you can achieve to is about 1.6 degrees negative, lots better than 4+

Our RHD Arna 1.5 Ti is the only one left in the UK and maybe in mainland Europe too :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts