Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know where I can find a needle or pointer for my tachometer and speedometer in my 82 GTV-6 ? Both due to the time and temperature are broken (deformed). Is there any repair shop that would rebuild them ? Is it possible to buy parts for older vehicles directly from Alfa Romeo ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
John,

Like your ideal with the Evergreen plastic angle sticks..and it looks great! Any problems with needle inaccuracy or being too heavy (i.e., not fully rotating)?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been running the evergreen needles without incident in my speedo and tach since I wrote that above post. No noticeable discoloration or warping yet.

It should be as accurate as the gauge can be, since you apply it to the remains of the old needle. Also, since you end up chopping off the long end of the old needle (and because the new material is "hollow"), the new needle is actually lighter than the old one. My tach definitely sweeps all the way to redline; I still haven't managed to test the speedo in that manner, though. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
John,

Like your ideal with the Evergreen plastic angle sticks..and it looks great! Any problems with needle inaccuracy or being too heavy (i.e., not fully rotating)?
Because of the position of my steering wheel, the speedo is difficult to read. In an effort to improve readability I have been playing around with the length of the needles. At this point I have made them extra long and I can see the end of the needle poking past the edge of the steering wheel and seem to work well.

I tested the accuracy of the tach this morning against my timing light. It was reading a consistent 600 rpm too low. To re-calibrate it I held the rpms at 1500 (according to the timing light) and pulled the needle off the post and put it back on at the 1500 rpm mark. Seems to be accurate throughout the rpm range now.

-- John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts