Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...a beginners guide as to how the Alfa 8V TS VVT works.

I've just returned from my pre-lessons on Wiki, and elsewhere. Pretty vague as to the how to part. I did find that there is a VVTi among other VVT variations.

Okay, I got the oil pressure bit...then started thinking about engine oil pressure. Once an engine is warmed up, the oil pressure gauge - which comes from a sender in an oil galley - doesn't vary all that much. When it does, it is mostly when slowing down to a stop. That said, the faster one goes, the more the analog oil pump is spinning.

CatCams offer both a single hole for a TS VVT cam's bearing, or a two hole one. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

My real question is what is the VVT actually accomplishing when it turns? And is there any tiny parallel to those folks who vary the cam timing from spec to increase power?

Is it simply a situation that the cam adjusts itself for the ideal setting when the engine is at a lower speed, then adjusts it to get maximum power at higher rpm's? Or is it more of a pollution device? Or can it be manipulated to one's own devices - which of course is more power - which then leads to the next question...is that doable and how much?

Biba

·
Registered
811 Posts
Talk to Wes Ingram Ingram Enterprises, Inc. he is using the VVT to make more power.
I have messed with mine but it does not seem to do much . I know it worked because the engine note or sound would change when it was turned on.

IMG_1537 copy.jpg

OK here is how it works.
First the cam Elf (no, no that's not right)

The VVT is controlled by the computer by turning power on and off the the solenoid that is mounted to the front of the cam cover.

The solenoid opens and closes the valve .

The oil pressure moves the piston .

The pistons angled splines rotate the cam.

IMG_1539.jpg

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David, I emailed Wes and he replied that he's not using the VVT (perhaps at one time he was experminting with it) and pretty much said that he was into the really expen$ive EFI he sells, etc. Okay, not those words, but I didn't feel I could get any help from him...unle$$.

Did you figure out the VVT arrangement on your own or are you a much better Internet surfer than I am? I very much appreciate your going through these basics for me (and perhaps others).

msiert mentioned switching out plates (correct term?) on his VVT during dyno testing. Would that be the VVT valve? Also, where/how would the two holes on the bearing (cam or head?) of one of CatCams TS cam come into play and accomplish what?

Lots of stuff to absorb. Like Andy Rooney once said, "My head is filled with as much information as I'll ever need and there's no room for more," (or something pretty close to that). Yeah, I'm also no kid but I'm thriving on learning at least enough to get me where I want to go/be. But do need information sources to get there. Again,thank you.

Biba

1 - 3 of 3 Posts