Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, any vendor suggestions for complete Weber carb rebuilds? Need mine done with new throttle shafts, verification of correct throttle butterfies, synch of butterflies, complete de-varnishing of carb bodies, etc.

I can do a basic rebuild kit myself but prefer to trust this work to someone with more experience. Could buy new Webers but my 40DCOE's are the Italian ones and I've heard not-so-good things about the new Spanish ones.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
You might want to ask Wes Ingram. I know he specializes in SPICA, but he knows a lot about these engines and their fuel systems. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Antoni. I spoke with Wes. He was extremely helpful and not only answered my questions but gave me a bunch of advice for free....unfortunately he is very busy at this time so cannot work with my carbs. He did give me a good local contact that he trusts, however.

There are two names that appear all over Google searches as well - Carbs Unlimited out of Washington state and Top End Performance in North Hollywood, CA. Top End is pretty close to me.

I also have a place right up the street - Fast Freddy's in Santa Ana, CA.

Anybody have experience with any of those three vendors?

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
I don't have any experience with any of those you mentioned. However, Top End is pretty close to me. I might check them out.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I'd be wary of using Google search vendors. Personal recomendations are more dependable.....
Pierce Manifolds in Giltoy, Ca. has been recomended by a few here.
Also, Gordon Raymond is probably the best known expert I can think of. Not close, but someone who knows webers inside and out.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Mark Dubovick
813-786-7534
908 Apollo Beach Blvd
Apollo Beach, Fl 33572

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
And what was the cost for the restoration of those carbies ??

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Depending on the parts needed (some are rare and expensive) base price for a rebuild is $350 for the pair I believe. I've had 5 sets done by Mark so far and they all come out looking beautiful! He did the one below (not mine) and it came out looking like new.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Is that one of those submersible submarine Carbies ? j/k

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I've also use mark dubovick, he is extremely good and considering the service you are getting, it's a very good deal and turn around times are great too.

Mark has done two sets of webers for me and three sets for another alfa guy in the local club.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just spoke to Mark, seems like a good guy. Definitely willing to take the time to discuss my carb issues, and his price is much better than anyone local to me, which frees up some budget to do a few things above and beyond Mark's "normal" rebuild, like throttle shafts and bearings (but he's going to assess those anyway). Pulling off the carbs tonight and will send to him in the morning! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well my carbs are just about ready to ship. To add agony to the wait :))), Mark was nice enough to send some photos today.

He found issues with a twisted throttle shaft on one of the carbs (hopefully will help my idle issue), as well as some jetting "inconsistencies" from one carb to the other. Mark re-jetted the carbs to what he feels would be more appropriate for my motor's spec. Also, papajam has been INCREDIBLY helpful in helping me sort my issues. Finally, thanks to THIS FORUM for turning me on to Mark!

BTW, his base price was only $285 for the set. Re-jetting and some other minor parts got me out the door still for less than $380.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts