Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I will soon start to attemt headliner installation on my 1600 Sprint and need some useful instructions on how to avoid unnecessary pitfalls, where to start streching when once up in the roof (middle, front, rear), how hard to strech without risking the material developing tears or seams going up, how many clamps needed and others for me right now unknown facts.
I´d really appreciate every advice from people that have done it before, as this will be my first time.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
416 Posts
My secret is an upholstery shop! Good on ya! I'll do most any project, but that one scares me to death.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob,

I recon this isn´t rocket science and thus feasible. I´m scared too, but than on the other hand, I was scared of many things during my Sprint resto, but I learned its all about being somewhat handy and armed with proper info in order not to mess up things in vain.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Bob,

I recon this isn´t rocket science and thus feasible. I´m scared too, but than on the other hand, I was scared of many things during my Sprint resto, but I learned its all about being somewhat handy and armed with proper info in order not to mess up things in vain.

Dennis
Dennis,

Me too, I was scared too install the headliner on my son's Sprint and we give it a shot. I was armed with information such as Richard Hampton's write up on the Giuliettaleta on how to install a new headliner on the Sprint. He did a great job with the explanation process which I followed. Even with all my multiple talents and tools :) I almost *&%(&# up the headliner. I ended up having someone with the correct skills to do it. So, I am with Bob on this one. IF, you still insist in doing it yourself I can post some instructions. I think I did so earlier.

Lionel

Auto Italia Sportiva / Classicwiring.com

Attachments

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Lionel,

I´ll be damned, now I´m baffled and listening, because if you with your skills and everybody on this forum can certainly acknowlidge that, gave up on the headliner, then there must be a substance in that.
I originally and partly went after what some people alleged, namely it is actually not that a big deal with this job, nothing that some pre-knowlidge and patience couldn´t cure, but I guess I will have to reconsider....thanks for your insight....

Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Hi Lionel,

I´ll be damned, now I´m baffled and listening, because if you with your skills and everybody on this forum can certainly acknowlidge that, gave up on the headliner, then there must be a substance in that.
I originally and partly went after what some people alleged, namely it is actually not that a big deal with this job, nothing that some pre-knowlidge and patience couldn´t cure, but I guess I will have to reconsider....thanks for your insight....

Dennis
Personally, it will be money well spent. So that you know, my main challenge was not installing the headliner, it was rather the final stretching of the material, specially, around the quarter windows. The person that finished the job, knew exactly what to and how to fix my %&$# up. Let me give you some pointers on how I would approach the headliner installation based on what I have learned from my last experience:

1) Installing a Sprint headliner is the same process as that followed on the VW Beetle. Find someone that have done headliners on these cars.

2) Have the installer tie down the rods in place with fishing line. Using cotton cord will rod with time and the headliner can collapse on you. I have seen it happened. Some people will argue that such a step is unnecessary. Just do it that way, you will be better off.

I will send you some additional information if you send me an email at [email protected] DO not use the private email option. Just send it to me directly.

Good luck,

Lionel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts