Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,325 Posts
Hi Folks,
I was pulled over in No. Virginia for speeding. No aggravating circumstances, but in that state exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 mph is considered reckless driving. Now I need to go to court. Looking for a lawyer I started a thread in the off-topic forum

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/off-topic-talk/175012-need-traffic-lawyer-no-virginia.html#post961448
Been there done that. Go to court pay the fine and move on. It is only money for court and insurance premium later on. What chance do you have to beat it? I even had dyno run done to check speedo but only off the 2 of the 82.

These 164 sure run sweet at 80 plus.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Another solution is to move out West where in some states, the limits are higher, 75 and 80. Easy to move along a little over if you are not doing anything stupid.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
I beat one in WA with a traffic lawyer. Legal fee came in just under what the fine would have been. There is a web site specializing in traffic lawyers and suggestions on how to beat tickets. Do a search.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
On our trip to Texas several years ago, we ran across speed limits of 75 and 80 several times. Really nice.

·
Administrator
17,467 Posts
I beat one in WA with a traffic lawyer. Legal fee came in just under what the fine would have been.
I suspect the system is set up that way. The court (local government) gets some money, the lawyer gets some money and you're happy because you think you 'beat' the system...

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Troublesome in Virginia because the state has outlawed radar detectors, and no one has had the courage or money to contest it (Fed regulations for receivers overrule state regs, witness the other 49 states, which allow them).

Of course, if you let yourself be paced, then that is a different kettle of fish.

·
Premium Member
27,325 Posts
VA does have some highways with 70 mph speed limits and even when speed limit is 55 mph we can go 70 in many places and if you don't you get passed by those who do.

I think 70 is now the new 55.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to court today

I went to court today. I had the charge reduced from "reckless driving by speeding" to "speeding", i.e., I went from a misdemeanor to a plain traffic infraction. I think the money for a lawyer was well spent and recommend getting a lawyer for anybody charged with the same offense in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Thanks to everybody for their advice.
Sonny

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Glad to hear you're not walking away in handcuffs, however, almost always, the courts will reduce your fine since you're pleading guilty to something.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
It was a dark and stormy night. Very little traffic on the road. Out of no where came the blue and red flashing lights. Seem I was sighted for 45 in a 35, not coming to a "full" stop at a stop sign AND...where's that insurance card? I know it's here somewhere = $550. But officer, I have insurance, just not the card. Son, you gotta have the card!

So I called the court clerk...Yes, if you bring in the insurance card the fine is reduced. So I show up with the card proving I had insurance on the day of the infraction. They through out the WHOLE thing, speeding and failure to stop:) It did cost me $25 for administrative fee:) I didn't argue:)

Moral of the story...DON't carry an insurance card:)

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Not getting on your case here Richard2, but it drives me up the wall when people don't carry their insurance cards with them. During an accident, you need to show proof of having insurance and be able to exchange the info with the other party. Luckily, with today's technology, I have an app on my phone that is a backup of my insurance information just in case.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to hear you're not walking away in handcuffs, however, almost always, the courts will reduce your fine since you're pleading guilty to something.
That wasn't really my situation, though. I would never plead guilty to reckless driving. The objective of having a lawyer was to get the charge reduced to something I could live with before entering a (guilty) plea. This involved the lawyer meeting with the prosecutor on my trial date.

On that day, I saw some first-time minor speeding offenders who were representing themselves getting their charges reduced to "defective equipment" by the judge. At this point, the prosecutor was not in the court room. I forget what plea these defendants entered but I think once you enter a guilty plea that's it...you have forfeited your chance of a lesser charge.

So what if I had had no lawyer? Then there would be no bargaining with the prosecutor so I would have to deal with the judge. Could I have pleaded not guilty to the "reckless driving" charge and made the judge reduce the charge to "speeding"? Maybe, but as you can see, because I am not a lawyer I am unclear on the law, court procedure, and local customs. That's why I used a lawyer. The court moves quickly and without a lawyer everything may be over before you have a chance to grasp what is going on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts