Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1962 Giulietta Spider that has been in a storage container since 1986. It is convertible, candy apple red. I drove it into the container in 1986 and that was the last time I did anything with it. It has sat there the whole time. I am moving and I need to get rid of the car. I live in Los Angeles County near Valencia. The tires are flat and it looks like a mouse or 2 has lived in it. Is anyone interested in it? It ran fine when I drove it in. I have no idea what it is worth.
Let me know
Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I drove it into the container in 1986 and that was the last time I did anything with it. It has sat there the whole time.

·
Premium Member
21,348 Posts
Pictures are always a big help in valuing. Especially something that has sat and may have deteriorated.

Andrew

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The car is in the back of a 50' storage container. There is a lot of stuff in front of the car. We intend to move most of stuff out this week and put some air in the tires and roll it out.
We don't want the car and want to get rid of it. However we are not sure what it is worth. I bought it in 1977 and drove it less than a hundred mile a year till 1986, when we moved to a rural area with dirt roads so it was no fun to drive. It was in good shape then but not sure now.

We will get some photos and post them ASAP.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I live in So-Cal and am interested in the car. Best way to reach you offline?

Thanks,

Jason
PICTURES!!! C'mon guys and gals...where's your sense of adventure :D. This is a car adventure in the making!
Way to step up Jason. Good luck!
If I wasn't on the other side of the country I would be willing to climb over 40 feet of junk to check it out!
You never know...maybe it has a GTA engine in it! ;)

-JT

·
Registered
581 Posts
well hopefully someone will put some pictures up, either the seller or the new buyer..... if I really wanted one I would have already be there!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sent you a PM for more info on the car, I'm local in los Angeles area. Let me know if it's still available. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
From personal experience with storage containers, they are FANTASTIC for cultvating rust.

Over time the constant cycling of warm days and cool evenings makes for a microcosm not unlike a rain forrest with the condensation trapped within the container continually vaporizing during the heat of the day, and then condensing (rain) with the cool down of night, again and again and again, etc.

One time the company I work for tried these for the storage of electrical parts, and within the course of a year lost them all to massive corrosion damage.

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
From personal experience with storage containers, they are FANTASTIC for cultvating rust.

Over time the constant cycling of warm days and cool evenings makes for a microcosm not unlike a rain forrest ......
:(I agree. For sale - needs restoration - good runner when last parked:)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Lowmileage: I am interested. Could you post some more pictures, perhaps of the engine and interior? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update.

I was able to move some stuff out of the way and pull up the cover on the front of the car. No rust on this baby, not even much dust. Keys still in the ignition, coco mats on the floor. It looks great. We live in a very dry climate.

The question is the front tire has rotten out. I can't put any air in it. I have a tractor and could put a chain on it and pull it out. I am worried that I might hurt the hub caps and wheel it self. Should I just leave it there or do you think I might damage it by moving it.

I can probably post some pictures on Thursday, but they may be kinda of dark because of the light in the storage container.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Richard

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just be ultra-careful where you put that chain when pulling it out. Would hate to damage the car at this important point in time. The wheel should just roll on the dead tire, and at those speeds, the wheel can just roll on the ground. Just be slow and careful. Make sure the chain doesn't damage body work when it gets tightened by the tractor. Make sure it's not in gear or the parking brake is on. <grin>

Steve S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Steve. I think maybe we can just push it out. Not sure how hard it will be make it roll. Photos to come soon.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The question is the front tire has rotten out. I can't put any air in it. I have a tractor and could put a chain on it and pull it out. I am worried that I might hurt the hub caps and wheel it self. Should I just leave it there or do you think I might damage it by moving it.
Try jacking up the front and putting a wheel dolly under the rotten tire.

You can see one in action on this page: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=34081&page=19

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the photos Ron. I see I need wheel dolly. i wonder if they have them at harbor freight?

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts