Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a emissions check on my 164Q to get it registered in CA. Last time it was checked in June 2008 it barely passed the HC at 15mph with 83 PPM Meas (max allowable = 83) and NO at 15 mph with 673 PPM (max allowable = 689). Since that time the timing belt has been replaced as well as the coils and spark plugs. What items should I check/replace before I go for my emissions check? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I recently smogged my Milano verde. Two years ago it barely passed. Since then no mechanical work or engine maintenance has been performed, except oil change. Anyway, I made sure to use the full RPM range in the week leading up to the smog with Italian tune-ups. At the time of smog I made sure engine was up to temp with a good freeway run and no shutting down and sitting prior to roller test. It passed squeaky clean with flying colors. If I were you I would do something similar and give it a shot. If things are in good shape it should pass. I have never had issues with my Alfas passing CA smog. Good luck.
Jes

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Similar to what Jes said + have clean oil change prior to the smog test. Run it hard/fast for about half an hour, then go right to the smog place, don't turn it off. Best of luck! I just had my 164 smogged and it passed thankfully!

·
Registered
570 Posts
add a pint of rubbing alchohol to your fuel when you are a block away and out of view from the smog test station. Then proceed directly to the test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts