Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the original 14" wheels limiting options, what tire size has the group found to be optimal on these cars in terms of getting a decent size contact patch while maintaining the car's flickability, filling the wheel openings, etc.? Is the Michelin Classic XAS (almost twice the price) worth the extra money over the Vredstein Classic. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
What year car? 14" wheels would have come with 165/80-14. Nowadays there are a few 185/70-14 options, not many are high performance. XAS were great tires in their day. You might look at Vredestein, I had 165/80-14 on 14" wheels on my Super, best tires ever. If you can fine 175-14, that's good too. Finding 195/60-14 is not too hard, but that's too wide for stock wheels unless you've got 6" Bosch Spider wheels or similar.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Drive down to Alameda tomorrow... Chat with a dozen GTV owners and get as many different opinions... I have 185/70/14s and couldn't be happier downsizing from 195s. Light and nimble but still enough tire for weekend fun.

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you're still on standard steel wheels, then anything other than the original 165's will tend to feel "over tyred ", and the car will lose some of that lovely dynamism that you speak about.
The Vredesteins are a great tyre.
The Michelin XAS were a great tyre in their day, and are even better now, being made with a modern compound, but true, are very expensive.
I have 7" x 14" GTA rims and couldn't be happier than with my 185 x 70 Continentals, much better than my other car with the same wheels and 195 x 65 Avons..

You're the one paying the money, but you will regret putting too big a tyre on.

Steve

·
Registered
349 Posts
Drive down to Alameda tomorrow... Chat with a dozen GTV owners and get as many different opinions... I have 185/70/14s and couldn't be happier downsizing from 195s. Light and nimble but still enough tire for weekend fun.
What a great idea Ken has... talking to other owners and getting their opinions.

I'm running 185/70/14's (Pirelli) on my GTV and I'm very pleased.

Good luck on your selection,

-Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts