Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished constructing a new garage. Twelve feet high inside and deep enough for two cars. So actually room for four cars. I had 6 inches of reinforced concrete poured to support the stress of a lift. I just don't know if I want a four post or a two post. Anybody with some suggestions based on personal experience? I have an 84 spider and a 90 Miata that I will want to raise for work. Thanks in advance.
:confused:

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Cannot answer your question but am definately jelious of your set-up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ray,

As with all things, it depends on what you are going to use the lift for. Two post lifts are best for suspension, wheel, brake, exhaust and other under car work that requires clear access. But I would not recommend a two post for long term (i.e. unattended) parking / storage of cars. It is too easy to get the car unbalanced unless it is parked right on the arms. Granted, there is a margin of safety built into the designs, but I still would not do it.

Four post lifts, with drive-on ramps, are much more stable for parking / storage. Equipped with rolling hydraulic jacks they also allow access for wheel and suspension work, though they still block more of the under side if you are doing exhausts, etc..

Which four post lift is another question. I bought a free standing C-column type lift about 5 years ago for my garage (see my avatar for a small picture). I also have 12 foot ceilings there. At the time backyard buddy had only one model, which had about 5 feet or less clearance under the deck at full lift. Being absent minded, I did not want the concussion risk that would not doubt result from me standing up under the ramps. So I bought the other common type of lift that had more clearance. Since then, BB has added models with higher lift.

There are ongoing discussions about the advantages of each type on almost all car forums (BMW, Corvette, Miata etc.). From personal experience, I have seen a definate deterioration of the C-column lift over the years, even with the tightening and balancing recommended by the manufacturer. I will probably be selling or junking it in a few years and replacing it, either with a BB, or pouring another slab and doing what I suggest for you - which is to get a professional, bolted down four post rather than a free standing if you want a parking lift.

Since you have the thickness to support a bolted lift, that is your best bet. Whether you go two or four post - bolted is safest, IMO.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hardtop- get a professional, bolted down four post rather than a free standing if you want a parking lift.

out of interest, what would something like that cost?

Bill

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Ray,
I have 1 of each. I use the 4 post for storage/parking & 2 post for working under the cars and storage. The 4 post will roll outside if needed.
Ed

·
Registered
418 Posts
We've got a 2 post here at home. Definitely the best for working on cars, though you have to be a little carefull how you position the pads. It's a Koni Repco brand, Australian made and at full lift I can stand underneath it with a little bit of a stoop (I'm 6'2") Maybe one for storage and one for work:D;)

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Just finished constructing a new garage. Twelve feet high inside and deep enough for two cars. So actually room for four cars. I had 6 inches of reinforced concrete poured to support the stress of a lift. I just don't know if I want a four post or a two post. Anybody with some suggestions based on personal experience? I have an 84 spider and a 90 Miata that I will want to raise for work. Thanks in advance.
:confused:
I've got a two post. Much better for working on the cars, imo, as it gives you much better access to the undersides. For pure storage, the four post is a little better, as it will have better provisions for catching dripping fluids, and it's not as sensitive to the fore/aft positioning of the car.

You might consider one of each! Then you could fit 6 cars in there!

As an aside, once you have the lift, you're going to put more than the Miata and Spider on it - you'll never want to do *any* job under *any* car without throwing it on your lift.

Lifts show up on Craigslist all the time, some for pretty cheap $$$. Best value is a professional lift that's been used in somebody else's home garage - great quality, and low service life.

HTH,

bs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts