Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a ready source or known supplier for paddle handle type automotive switches that have icons for various common functions? Such as would be used for fans, wiper, windshield washer control, etc. ?

I have seen decal type function icons that can be used to label panels adjacent to individual switches, but I am more specifically seeking the switches w/ icons silk-screened or molded into the handle like the ones Italian and British cars of the 60s and 70s used, i.e- like the ones that are original to GTVs and spiders.

I need to identify radiator cooling fan, windshield washer, and +12V power port functions for an auxillary panel I fabricated from the original AirCon dash vent installed at the dealer when new. Not asking for much....huh?

·
Registered
3,360 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for those links Kevin. I knew I had seen those switches listed somewhere. I guess at that price I'll have to add them quickly to the Christmas wish list.

The aforementioned vent was non-functional since removing all other traces of the AC unit, and it was unsightly in an otherwise mostly perfect dash. After re-furbishing the windshield wiper motor, linkage, wiring I was thinking: would be nice to have a real washer pump on a hand switch...and wouldn't it also be proper if I had a manual switch to override the rad. fan...and why not add a place to plug in the GPS and cell phone, etc.

There is scarcely any aspect of owning an Alfa that will not send you down some slippery slope. But I enjoy that, mostly.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
:), I hear ya!

I've got a switch for the electric fan on my Super like those in the link, I'm actually trying to figure out a good way to have it done automatically like in the newer Spiders/Milanos etc. Not really keen on using a probe but there doesn't seem to be space to add a bung on the radiator I have.

Kevin

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is a phone shot of my setup composed of a generic NAPA sourced fan switch of appropriate temp. range, 1/2 " female X 3/4" male pipe brass fitting soldered into a hole which I cut in the bottom tank of the stock radiator. This switch automatically, or my dash mounted switch manually, simply grounds the fan relay.

I don't know about 105 sedans but GTVs and spiders of the era had a ready made cutout in the lower core support that is perfectly positioned to accommodate a lower tank switch, as though the factory had anticipated the eventual need.

I'll try to attach a couple pix.

Notice the lower radiator hose to the right and maybe you can just see the hex on the switch where it screws into the soldered in adapter. Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts