Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assembling the front disc brake setup on my "64 Giulia Spider, and as it turns out, I don't have the four bolts needed to attach the calipers to the caliper mounting brackets.

The Giulia Spider Veloce Parts Manual shows the bolt, but does NOT give any info about it. It looks to be a shoulder bolt, but it's probably just partially-threaded.

All info appreciated!

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Ray,
have you tried Tony at Alfastop?
He sells at least the: Front brake caliper mounting bolt locktabs, set of 2 ( see 2BRF113 )
I'm not related to him !

Thierry

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Brian,

You clever rascal! Your idea reminded me that the English cars used Girling parts, so I checked out Moss Motors and hoped that they might just have what I need.

Their caliper bolts that are close to the correct length are in imperial inches, whereas Alfa's caliper mounting bracket's holes are threaded M12 X 1.25; mi dispiace tanto:cry:

Not to be outdone, I checked the sources for 1960's Volvos which used GIrling calipers, but their setup is somewhat different from Alfa's and do not use the bolt I need. Lotsa stuff out there; close but no Kewpie dolls:rolleyes:

Thierry,

Thanks for the tip, but of course, I already have those items; duh.

Ray

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Ray,
Sorry if I was not clear enough, I think there is a misunderstanding. I hope we are both talking about the Girling bolts: 64130342 ? I just mentioned you to ask Tony about those Girling bolts 64130342, not the locktabs. I saw that he rebuilds those calipers so he might have some bolts.

Thierry

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not sure how unique your bolts may need to be, but If you type in a 12mm shoulder bolt search on Belmetric Hardware’s site you might get lucky. It may be yellow zinc though if you can live with that. Fast shipping however.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

Thierry,
Brian mentioned that 101.26.22.117.00 is an old Girling part #; was it superseded by Girling bolt # 64130342 that you mentioned above?. Where is it referenced?

Barn101,
I have no idea about it being unique; From the diagram, it looked like a shoulder bolt or a plain partially-threaded bolt; probably 8.8.

I would love to locate some original Alfa items, but with a rather limited number of Giulia Veloce Spiders, (or Normales equipped w/disc brakes) having been produced, unless the same bolt was used on other cars, I would imagine the chances of coming up with four of them are quite slim. I wonder; did the Giulia SS ever use the same Girling disc brake setup as the Giulia Veloce Spider?

As neither Belmetric, nor Bolt Depot, carry any M12 X 1.25 X 40 partially-threaded bolts in any finish, I will default back to McMaster-Car for some partially-threaded M12 X 1.25 X 40 Zinc-plated bolts @ $9.95 for five.

On a side note, I see Brian's info says he's "out of the office". Did he resign his Moderator's position?

Ray

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
Ray the Giulia Spiders, both Normale & Veloce + Sprints & SS's switched over to the Girling disc brakes circa '64 , so for almost 2 years the discs were in production, chances are someone here will have some bolts for you - unfortunately all my cars are earlier and have drum brakes, so nothing this end.

Just a thought - the early 105 cars used a Dunlop caliper, so there may be the potential for a cross-over of parts if you scratch a bit ??

Brian is very much still here & active, the out of office thing is a bit of light hearted humour.

Ciao
G

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Ray,

About your reply, I guess Brian meant that your bolt with Alfa number 101.26.22.117.00 also has a Girling part number : # 64130342 . You can see both numbers on your attachment in the first post. Whether they were originally made by Girling or Alfa, you really should ask Tony . Sorry for repeating myself again. I flew over the hundreds of numbers in the Girling books but I have not found English cars that had that specific bolt.
The Giulietta SS/SZ with disc brakes had the same bolts as you can see on the pictures coming from a late Giulietta catalog. They also show some other details that are not shown in your picture of the Giulia spider veloce catalog, maybe good to have them.

Fwiw, according to the 2600 catalog , a look alike bolt is used in the same position on 2600 cars that had brake calipers, it has alfa number 106.00.22.117.00. On the drawings in both catalogs that part looks the same and we can see that it has nearly the same number, but there must be a difference that I don't know. Maybe you can enlarge your search with this information, maybe the 2600 alfisti could shine their light on this.

edid: I just saw another look alike bolt ( # 105.14.22.117.00) in the early 105 GT catalog, so there were also early 105 cars with that type of Girling caliper.
Rgds,
Thierry

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thierry,

Thanks for the screenshots. I went to the OKP website and scanned a number of parts catalogs. It appears that following AR parts might just be the same M12 X 1.25 X 40 mm bolt:
1) 101.26.22.117.00.
2) 16.00.22.117.00,
3) 105.14.22.117.00 and maybe even
4) 115.10.22.124.01.

If my thinking is correct, there should be lots of those bolts out there hiding in boxes along with numerous other useful items that may never see the light of day, ever again. But, hope springs eternal; let's see if anyone responds? ?

Thanks to ALL you guys who have gone the extra mile searching this out!

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts