Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a source for the rubber inserts that go in the body side molding on a 89 Spider? Thanks Paul

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
which side molding?

Can you post a picture of the side molding you are referring to?

AFAIK, there was no 'side' molding installed by the factory on the 1989 cars (except for the plastic air dam and rocker panel treatments on the lower portions of the Quadrifoglio models).

It's possible that what you have is an aftermarket product that was added by the dealer or a previous owner (to protect against parking lot door-dings), so sourcing exact replacement rubber inserts might be difficult.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Do you have a Quad? If so, these holes in both front and rear fenders may be what you are referencing. If so, I need the same things for my Quad, to reinstall the rocker panel valances. See photo. Hole in bottom of the front finder ( there is also a similar hole in the rear fender) is for attaching the rocker valance panels.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Maybe the OP is referring to this.

It's my understanding this was not a factory option but was a commonly installed dealer option as Norseman mentioned. I have not seen it being sold by the usual suppliers. Frankly, I think it ruins the lines of the car and it did very little to prevent parking lot dings on mine. I'd take mine off but I am afraid of what I will find underneath.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
I used these..

Do you have a Quad? If so, these holes in both front and rear fenders may be what you are referencing. If so, I need the same things for my Quad, to reinstall the rocker panel valances. See photo. Hole in bottom of the front finder ( there is also a similar hole in the rear fender) is for attaching the rocker valance panels.

Robert
Hi Robert,

I had to remove the plastic liner in my left (driver's side) wheel well to replace the cowl drain hose but in the process I had to destroy the plastic rivets that held that inner liner in place. Based on the diameter of the hole in the body panel (8mm or 9mm) I found (and was able to use) these as suitable replacements for those plastic rivets:

10x Honda Plastic Rivet Fastener Clips Trim Panels Bumper Fascias Linings | eBay

Recently I saw these that look exactly like the ones used by the Alfa factory for this purpose:

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Front Spoiler RR Trim Rivet New OE | eBay

I have not removed the rocker panel treatments on my Quad before, so I haven't needed the plastic rivets for securing those, but one of the above options might work.

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to package and mail the window parts. I'll let you know when thy arrive.

Warm regards,

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Edward,

No, those are POM rivets. I have those already. The side (rocker panel) valace skirts on a quad had some kind of attachment on the back of the valance, front and rear. These attachments had to have been glued to the back side of the valance and went through those holes in the front and rear fenders and attached from the rear of the fender. I cannot find any kind of illustration of them anywhere.

My Quad had been repainted prior to my owning the car and the body shop which did the repaint removed the side valance panels, destroying whatever originally went through those holes. The body shop glued the valance panels on with some kind of builders cement. When I received the Quad, the side valance panels were falling off the car. When I had the Quad repainted back to the original color, I had it repainted in pieces, including all the valance panels front, rear, and both sides. I am manufacturing my own attachments for the front and rear valance panels, but the side pieces have me stumped.

I need whatever was glued to the back side of the side valance panels and went through those fender holes.

azALFAowl,

Those side mouldings used to be sold by auto paint and supply companies. I can remember seeing displays of those side moulding kits in paint supply stores. They are NOT OEM Alfa mouldings, but were added by dealers and body shops after the car was sold without any kind of side mouldings. Check with auto paint and supply stores in your area and see if they are still available. Also check with J C Whitney catalogue online.

Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts