Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The brake lights and backup lights on my 91 Spider Veloce are not working. IAP has the switch but not the relay. The shop gave me two part numbers per IAP.

82461829 or 60507655.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

susan

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
afaik...there is no relay for either back up lights or brake lights....

presuming you have checked all the bulbs....
brake lights: check fuse #4?....if fuse is OK, pull the 2 wire connector on the switch just up by the brake pedal and jump the white and red wires. If brake lights then work, then switch is bad.....if they don't work by jumping, then you need to look further at wiring etc. Obviously check the pedal is actually contacting the switch! (pushing the pedal moves it off the switch, thus turning on the brake lights)
My euro S4 brake lights work with ign off, but check also with ign on, just in case there is a difference with US spiders.

the back up lights have a switch in the bell housing (unfortunately meaning gearbox out just to replace that 10 dollar switch!), these I believe only work with Ign. ON.
To test: under the car, exiting the bellhousing, upper left, are two shortish wires that lead to 2 connectors on the side of the transmission. Make sure connectors are clean and (obviously) haven't come apart (they can hang down and catch on something whilst driving!). Pull the connectors then join the 2 wires together, the ones that lead back (with Ign. on)......if back ups now work, then indeed the bellhousing switch is bad. Not much you can do about it until the next clutch job!
(On my S4 I just wired in a separate manual switch in the centre console, till time comes to replace my clutch!)

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spiderserie4,

Thank you for the response. The brake switch is on order from IAP. The burned relay was an incidental finding. From what I've been able to learn it is for the cooling fans.

I'll get the info on the reverse switch to the shop.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

susan

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
ah OK, Thanks.....understand it now!

cooling fan relay, 12V 30Amp

try searching MP 2335
you can get them in europe.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hosob, thanks. I think they had the lights on when the checked. I'll double check.

spiderserie4, I did a search on the part number. Nothing yet. I'll keep looking. Thank you for that information. Much appreciated.

susan

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alfarobert, thank you for the info. I phoned Vicks this afternoon. I was told the part is not available. I will check with them again.

regards,

susan

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Alfa was at the shop today. Brake lights are operational with a new switch. Relay for cooling fans was supplied by Dean at Trail Auto. Reverse lights pose a mystery.

Lights went on when the switch was jumped. The job is on hold until spring due to the difficulty in accessing the switch.

They backed the car out of the shop and the reverse lights illuminated! The tech said he can't take credit for repairing reverse lights because he didn't.

Any thoughts on the mystery of the reverse lights?

Snow in our forecast. Nice long cold season to wonder about this one.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
My Alfa was at the shop today. Reverse lights pose a mystery.

Lights went on when the switch was jumped. The job is on hold until spring due to the difficulty in accessing the switch.

They backed the car out of the shop and the reverse lights illuminated! The tech said he can't take credit for repairing reverse lights because he didn't.

Loose or dirty contacts on the switch wires, that made better connection after removal for testing (and cleaning thereof) or subsequent re-installation onto the switch contacts?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

Snow in our forecast. Nice long cold season to wonder about this one.
Dumb luck? Don't dismiss it, can come in handy with the electrickery stuff...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dumb luck? Don't dismiss it, can come in handy with the electrickery stuff...
That gave me a big laugh! When it happened I thought of wireless network troubleshooting and inexplicable positive results. I hope the reverse lights still work in the spring.

Thanks for the post!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts