Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
WoW was I scared today!!Put 59 miles on the new motor and brought it to my mechanic to tune the carbs. Around 4000 rpms he heard a banging. He thought i had thrown a rod?? Took off pan everything looked fine?? Noticed that the big bolt was loose on the balancer spun it off by hand. Looked in book and it looks like the two keys hold the bolt and then bend the washer. What r the right size keys to hold bolt? . Any info or suggestions would be great??
On a lighter note, the po had installed weber carbs. The choke cable nor the throttle cable have never been installed sense iv owned it. It looks to me like some pieces are missing. I took a few pics if anyone has a similair set up could you send me some picts so i can see how to clamp on the cables
TY.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
And for the non~productive infobit:
The engine is balanced internally, there is no harmonic balancer, just a big stout pulley on the crank nose.

I could be wrong, but the only key in there is the one that the pulley aligns on the crank with.
Any other slots/holes/grooves that may look like key slots are broach points for the tabbed washer to engage in, otherwise the tab on the washer goes into the same slot the key fits into.
Tabs on washer go in slot(s), sides of washer not in slots gets bent over edge of crank fixture to prevent it coming loose.

Unless your crank pulley actually fell off, its highly doubtful you've lost the crank to pulley key.

·
Administrator
17,517 Posts
And I could be wrong, too, but maybe there are two woodruff keys? One for the lower timing chain gear/oil pump gear & the second for the crank pulley.

And, I do remember that the crank pulley is prone to cracking next to the key way's slot. Especially on Spiders with A/C. So, inspect the pulley's key way very carefully.

As for the size of the key, I know not. But it should be easy to calculate. The key should be a snug fit into the slot (i.e. its width) and tall enough to fill both slots (i.e add the depth of the slot in the crankshaft to the depth of the slot in the pulley). And long enough to fit...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,369 Posts
This should help with the choke cable - looks like you have the locking bolt missing from the rear carb to clamp the cable outer
paleblue spider's engine has a factory Weber manifold, while gav's has a Spica manifold with adapters. There may be a problem with the choke cable interfering with the throttle linkage that extends down from the Spica bellcrank - perhaps that's why the PO didn't connect the choke.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good point Alfajay, looks like it would run right through that throttle link area.
I suppose you could just connect the rear carb .
Only really need the choke for a few min on cold days - I am sure it would run a bit lumpy for that time but would probably get it started.
Be interesting to see other set ups of this
David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts