Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gathering parts to restore my Euro-spec 1968 GTV, but I have not been able to source a front bumper.

I have one from a US-spec 1969 GTV, but it does not have the brackets to mount the under-bumper turn signals. Can anyone post pictures of those mounts so I can see how difficult they would be to recreate?

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you posted is indeed what my GTV would have had originally. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a proper '68 Euro-spec bumper, so at least for the time being, I'm going with a US-spec '69 front bumper instead. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the mounting brackets for the turn signals, nor does the factory parts manual (which I also have a copy of) have a decent breakdown of it. I think they were welded or riveted into the bumper, which would explain why the parts manual doesn't detail the bracket separately.

What I really need is a good picture or two of the turn signal bracket section of the bumper so I can see how it was designed.

Does anyone have a good picture of that area?

·
Administrator
4,022 Posts
Hi rkirkpatrick

The Euro spec front bumper is the same item as fitted to the dip nosed Giulia Sprint GT's and 1300 GT Juniors from about '66 to '69 (earlier cars used the same shape bumper but it's a one piece). The dip nosed cars had the indicators fixed to the body, so the bumper is clean & has no holes for indicator fitment.

The later GTV's (Flush nose) had the indicators installed under the front bumper, but they are fitted to the body and the bumper only goes over the top of them.

If you have the measurements of the holes for your correct bumper fitment, you could simply drill the '69 bumper to suit your 1750 Series I. Indicators can be sourced from the European or UK sources. Once the indicators are bolted down on their rubber gaskets, who would know that the bumper was not an original Mk 1 1750 GTV item ??? Visually they are identical except the 1750 has the indicator pods on either end. The bumpers on my '69 GT 1300 Junior are stainless, so drilling holes would not create a rust-under-chrome issue ???

1750 Mk 1's were scare even when new, chances of finding a half decent front bumper is slim. Modify what you have & if you simply *must* have an original item, then keep looking while you drive the car - practicality in this case would trumph originality.

Just my opinion

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
105 Posts
R: My bumpers are on my car, but I took a couple of pictures for what help they might give. As you can see, the bracket is held in place by six rivets, three on each side. It appears to me that the light base is an integral part of the bracket, so if you get the light, the bracket comes with it. But, if that's not the case, the bracket appears simple to fabricate. Sheet metal with just a few simple angles and some holes drilled in. Hope this helps.

Tim
69 US Spec Series 1 GTV

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Series 1 Euro GTV

I have a pair of Series 1 Euro GTV front turn/parking lites that sit on top of the bumper, if needed ? Just like the ones on the yellow ochre GTV posted by shadetree 5 posts above.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MMG57: Thanks!! That's exactly what I was looking for.

ShadeTree: I have been regularly checking the Euro eBay sites (ebay.co.uk, ebay.it and ebay.de) but I hadn't seen that auction. I'll send a message and see if they're willing to ship to the US. Thanks!

Brad: I'll PM you about the signals. Those might be good to have in case I can source the proper bumper. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV front parking lites

I posted 4 photos of the paking lites on my "Alfa parts garage sale" thread, in the club forums section in "Alfa Romeo Club of Canada-Toronto Capter"

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Here are photos of the bracket for the 105.51 GTV (US 1969 model). I can make a flat pattern template and scan it in if you plan on going ahead with fabricating these.

IMG_7613.jpg

IMG_7614.jpg

IMG_7616.jpg

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rossano,

If you wouldn't mind doing a template that would be very helpful. At this point I'll probably go with the '69 setup since I have the bumper and one NOS turn signal assemblies already. I'm still looking for the right signal assembly, just in case anyone has one lying around that they'd like to sell.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
OK, give me a day or so to make one for you. Also, I may have a complete light assembly....or most of the parts at least. I say most of the parts because my last trip to my plating shop resulted in them losing one of the light bulb housings for this assembly but I need to check which side (left or right) that was.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be great. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rossano,

Thanks a million! The drawings are perfect.

I'll get to work making a set.

Thanks again.

Robert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts